The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:05 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Wader Repair ???

I have an extra pair of waders (bootfoot) that I was given by a friend before he moved away & I know that they have a small hole somewhere in the leg area. My question for anyone is what is the easiest method for locating the hole ? I know what to buy to repair the problem, but finding the flaw/hole is the tougher part of the equation. I have had others share some ideas, but I want to compare them all & decide which will work best for me.

Thanks,

Tie One On
Old 06-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wader Repair ???

If they are gore-tex waders, then there is a cool trick you can use to find holes. Put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Turn the waders inside out and spray all of the area where you think the hole may be. Turn them right side out and look for dark spots. Those dark spots are holes where the alcohol wicked through the hole in the wader. This method will reveal tiny holes that might be otherwise undetectable. I don't know if this worksfor the other waterproof/breathable laminates that are not gore-tex, but I bet it will.

If the waders are neoprene or rubber, you might be able to spray watered down dish liquid on them, fill them with air, close off the top, squeeze them, and look for bubbles. Others are bound to have more experience with hole fixing/detection on these types of waders, but that might work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

if they're neoprene a hairdryer on low and a pool (or bathtub) will work wonders that or put some pants on and stand in a river for just a few min and find the wet spot on your pants and look in that area
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

If they are Neo and you have a sloped driveway, lay them in the driveway and take a hose and fill them up wait for them to leak. You can do the same with breathable ones as well, just make sure you turn them inside out.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:16 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Take them into a dark room like a small closet, and shine a bright flashlight from inside the waders. Look for a spot of light shining through. This might not work on breathable waders, but it might be worth a try.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
if they're neoprene a hairdryer on low and a pool (or bathtub) will work wonders
WAIT ONE COTTON PICKING MINUTE!!! Are you really suggesting that its a good idea to put the waders AND A HAIRDRYER IN A FILLED BATHTUB? Last time I checked, this is known as a method used TO COMMIT SUICIDE.

Surely somebody else caught that as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:35 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I took it as meaning use the dryer to fill the waders with air, like a balloon, then use the tube to check for leaks.