The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly Tying Swaps Early Winter 2010

Okay- the cold weather is here--- that means it’s time to tie before cabin fever takes over.

We have a lot of fly swaps starting up, with lots of choices for folks that chase all kinds of stuff, so this is a good time to jump in. Everyone is welcome- regardless of tying experience,

If you’re just starting out, or thinking about taking up tying this is a good opportunity to jump in. Let me know if you want some ideas for simple patterns that could work for any of these swaps.

Here’s a list of the different swaps we have up and running. For more info and to sign up, go to the individual swap threads in the fly swap forum.

Pike Warmwater Swap –Do you throw large stuff at Pike and Musky?
Due date Feb 1, 2010
Four more openings

Bronzeback Swap- flies for smallmouth bass
Due date to be set once we have a few more tyers
Six more openings available

Eek a Mouse! Swap – mice imitations for monster trout, pike, bass and other carnivores looking for a big furry meal.
Still 6 openings!

Redfish and Specs Swap -Fish the Gulf? Then this one’s for you.
Nine more openings!!!

Carp Fly Swap I know you're out there. Here's your chance to exchange effective patterns for these beauties.
Due date will be set once we have a few more tyers
Only Eleven openings left!!

Stillwater trout flies- Fish lakes and ponds for trout?
Due date March 15
Still six openings

Caddis Life Cycle Swap Sign up to tie 12 flies in one phase of a caddis lifecycle- larva, pupa, adult. The swap will result in a selection of flies that cover different phases of a caddis lifecycle.
Due date March 15
Six openings left

Basic Trout Box Swap- A great one for beginners, and intermediate tyers that want to work on their skills. At the end of this swap you’ll have a selection of streamers, nymphs, wets and dries, 12 flies. Pick a proven pattern and tie up a dozen. For new tyers, some of the less difficult options might include streamers (bucktail streamer, bugger) nymphs (Pheasant Tail, Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear etc).
Due date March 15, 2010
Eight Openings!

Post Turkey Day Swap Flies for trout and panfish
Due date Jan 10, 2010
This swap is full.

Salmon Fly Swap – this is for featherwing or hairwing salmon flies for Atlantic and/or pacific salmon
Due date March 1, 2010
This swap is full, but based on the interest, we’ll be doing more of these.

Early Season Dry Fly Swap- for early season hatches East or West. This is a “hatch matcher swap” with dry flies to imitate the specific April hatch of your choice.
Due date March 15, 2010
Still 10 Openings!

Wet Fly Swap- Soft Hackles, Winged Wetflies and Flymphs. For folks that like swinging wet flies and tying classic or new fangled subsurface patterns
Due date Feb 15, 2010
Four openings left!

And there will be more swaps coming so stay tuned.

If you’re not familiar with fly swaps, here’s a FAQ that explains how they work:
Fly Swap Guidelines

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions, or if you have any ideas for future swaps you’d like to see —
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tying Swaps Early Winter 2010

I need to practice my trout flies.
I don't think that I've tied but a handful in the last few years and the ones that are left in my boxes are 'bottom of the barrel' . I've been culling out the losers and there's not going to much left.
It's going to be a trout fly winter for me

signing up for a caddis life cycle and a wet fly
Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have all my swap ties done now, just need to tag and bag em. I might be interested in the early season dry fly swap - i really need to work on my dry fly hackles. Too much snow right now, and too cold to get out, but I will as soon as we get a few warmer days (low 40s is ok by me). BTW I don't see a thread for this one - Early Season Dry Fly Swap

d
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't mind sharing a few of my new crayfish with a dozen folks.