The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM

TAT is on a distinguished road
Default What do you use for a h2o filter?

I drink a lot of water on the streams especially when we're hiking into small streams and creeks. I can't carry enough water and don't like the weight so I have used various filter combos over the years. Cryptosporidium and giardia are not your friends. Started with a Katydyn bottle that was nearly impossible to squeeze. Moved onto another competing brand that was just a little better. Last year used one of those filter straws. Good in a pinch I guess but you have to suck on it pretty hard.

What do you you use? I would like to find a decent portable and easy to use purifier.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you use for a h2o filter?

This is what I (and quite a few people) use...

28oz Flip Top Filter Bottle, Advanced - Filtration Bottles by Seychelle Environmental
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If I will be doing a long hike, I will carry a PUR (Katadyn) Hiker water filter in a small backpack. I don't mind the extra weight since it is very reliable.

MP
Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Katadyn bottle here. It just hangs empty from a "D" ring on my sling pack. I fill it from the river or lake whenever I'm ready for a drink of H2O. You're right about squeezing hard, but the new flip up drink noozle isn't as hard as the older straw type.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 AM

TAT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Katadyn bottle here. It just hangs empty from a "D" ring on my sling pack. I fill it from the river or lake whenever I'm ready for a drink of H2O. You're right about squeezing hard, but the new flip up drink noozle isn't as hard as the older straw type.
I saw these at REI and almost bought one. My biggest complaint on the old style was the amount of force you had to apply. If these are much easier I'll just go ahead and get one. REI's return policy is great.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I just got a SteriPen Classic for xmas that I plan on taking with me on my longer fishing/hiking trips. It's a UV type of filter. I have used it a couple times while otu ice fishing, and I like it so far.

Camping Water Purifier Outdoor Water Purification System - Classic SteriPEN
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Katadyn Vario. Very easy to pump and it screws right into my nalgene.