The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 AM

1950mercury is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis blows.

Getting tired of being treated like a third class customer at Orvis in Denver at Cherry Creek because I dont look like the "traditional" fly fisherman. Its too bad Rob cant figure out that I am a gear head and like to spend money. Maybe he is just a bit jealous that I get out several times a week.

T
Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis blows.

Interesting first post. Seems kinda like badmouthing Ford because the manager of the local dealership is a turd though.

I'm not a member of the Orvis Acolytes who love them dearly. I think lots of companies out there make better stuff for better prices. It just sounds like its one person or one store you're talking about, not a tackle manufacturer.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I have had great experiences with Orvis (and I worked for them in SLC for a yr) and I must agree that they tend to cater to people that have more money than sense. However, putting down an entire company because of an experience with a single employee is, who can I say this, rather short sited.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 AM

1950mercury is on a distinguished road

I was a bit tired when I got off work lastnight at 4:00 AM. What I meant to say was Orvis Cherry Creek in Denver blows.
I really am having a good time fly fishing though. I was addicted the first time I went. I have been sitting on an old Wright and McGill "All American" rod that was my grandfathers for 15 years and decided it was time to learn how to wave it around. I caught fish on it and figured that it was probably holding me back some so, I went out and got some gear that was a bit more modern.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:23 AM

You have embarked on a great journey grasshopper..
Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it is the personel and not Orvis, cause you ever need to call customer service, they are very helpful. As Mike said I too worked at the SL store from start to finish and now the Orvis endorsed Lodge, and we had one sales BOY! that was quick to dis whatever you were using instead of working with. Personally, I know Mike or myself would have tried to work with you, regardless of money spent. It's nice just to meet fellow fishing people.
I don't feel however that Orvis gear is over priced, it is name brand with a great warranty. Just like Sage, Winston, Loomis, etc. They have a name, but they will take care of you for buying that name for a very long time.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I for one have never seen a company that will back their product like Orvis will. They are in the same price ranges with all other companies in their quality bracket. I for one did not have anything but good experience with the SLC store, even from the boy.....LOL!!

Don't give up on Orvis. Call headquarters about your issue. They will work with you and you might be surprised how far they are willing to go to make you happy.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
I for one did not have anything but good experience with the SLC store, even from the boy.....LOL!!
Oh yea!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road

Orvis has pretty good phone customer service but some of the employees have a narrow picture of what their customers should look like. I've seen employees like this put shops out of business. Its not the company its the person waiting on you.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Angling Sidekick is on a distinguished road

I really like my local Orvis store. The ppl there are great to work with. I'm in there at least 3 times a week just to get tips and check out gear.