The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Not another new guy.

Greetings. Always love finding a new fly fishing board. I cut my teeth on fly fishing in the late 80's while living in Ketchikan Alaska. Transfer forced me to move to central California where I have been stuck for the last 19 odd years. Local law enforcement has forbid me to fish with anything heavier than an 8wt. Too many complaints from fly ridden spectators who dared to venture too close while I was casting. My sights are set on retirement and a pending move to Idaho where I'll spend the rest of my days flinging the fly on rivers with legendary status. Just happy to be here.....
Old 06-15-2006, 08:32 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Not another new guy.

Where in Central Ca? I grew up in the Bay Area.

Oh and welcome.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM

Currently in Santa Ynez, near Santa Barbara.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 PM

If you dont mind catching dinks, there are tons of small coastal streams along the coast from San Gregorio all the way down to L.A. that dump into the ocean. My dad has 400 acres in SanGregorio and he gets Steelies running through his property every year. Or so he says..
Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! I, for one, enjoyed the preemptive retort to any groans from our group. Sounds like you'll be fun to have as a contributor.

Quote:
My dad has 400 acres in SanGregorio and he gets Steelies running through his property every year. Or so he says.
Mike that sounds like the kind of statement you'd be foolish not to verify for yourself. If you're that opposed to fishing moving water, I'm sure one of us would be willing to help with this verification.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
Mike that sounds like the kind of statement you'd be foolish not to verify for yourself. If you're that opposed to fishing moving water, I'm sure one of us would be willing to help with this verification.
All expenses paid on Mike's behalf correct.

All kidding aside welcome aboard Fishstick. Reminds me of the old saying if you don't like my driving stay off the side walks. Guess it goes hand in hand with fishing.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

Fishstick
Welcome to a fellow local.
I am in Goleta.
I understand (having lived in coastal Cal all my life) why you long for retirement and moving to Idaho for the fishing.
While you are here though, keep the faith with some creeks in the winter time, the bass in the fall and , if you dare, try for some salt water demons like bonito, mackerel or halibut in the high summer months.

Despite what fshfanatic says though, make sure if you go after the steelhead here you read the regulations VERY closely. Most of them are off limits because the coastal steelhead is a protected species. Too bad too because the Santa Ynez river was one of the top steelhead breeding rivers in the state before they put in Bradbury dam in the 50s. The runs were in the tens of thousands per year and people would use pitch forks to harvest the trout.
Now all fishing below the dam is forbidden to try and save the last remnants of the population.

On a brighter note Jalama beach has some of the best Surf Perch fishing anywhere in the state. Short casts and hard fighting fish. It's a hoot.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I meant to imply NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to pay for an exploratory fishing vacation to verify that claim. Wish I had that kind of cash to fling around though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM

I said what I said because I havent checked it out. I only get to Cali a couple times a yr and usually dont have time to fish.

On my Dads behalf, I have fished his property and have caught some nice trout.

I wasnt trying to put anything down. It was actually a positive statement.

For the record. I am not against fishing moving water. It just seems like when I do I spend more time swimming that fishing. Curtis will verify this I am sure.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
FishstickWelcome to a fellow local.I am in Goleta.I understand (having lived in coastal Cal all my life) why you long for retirement and moving to Idaho for the fishing.While you are here though, keep the faith with some creeks in the winter time, the bass in the fall and , if you dare, try for some salt water demons like bonito, mackerel or halibut in the high summer months.Despite what fshfanatic says though, make sure if you go after the steelhead here you read the regulations VERY closely. Most of them are off limits because the coastal steelhead is a protected species. Too bad too because the Santa Ynez river was one of the top steelhead breeding rivers in the state before they put in Bradbury dam in the 50s. The runs were in the tens of thousands per year and people would use pitch forks to harvest the trout.Now all fishing below the dam is forbidden to try and save the last remnants of the population.On a brighter note Jalama beach has some of the best Surf Perch fishing anywhere in the state. Short casts and hard fighting fish. It's a hoot.
Much appreciated. With my recent return to fly fishing, I've spent a fair amount of days on the upper Santa Ynez with good success, which somewhat surprised me. I've read stories about the steelhead back in the days, so sad that those days are over. I've hammered the bass with Clousers on Cachuma for a couple of hot action days and have tried the surf-n-fly on Goleta beach with no takers. I'm sure the tide and raging surf played into the factor to a degree. Nice to have a local on the board to swap reports etc. thank you