The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default How often do you.....

How often do you replace your tippet spools?
I used to replace all my tippet spools yearly, but now I only replace my 5x and 6x on a yearly basis.

In your opinion does it matter if it's Mono or Fluoro?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
How often do you replace your tippet spools?
I have some two year old tippet that seems to has good knot strength still. Modern materials have come such a long way, that tippet will last longer than previous generations of leader materials. Keep them stored properly (away from heat and UV light exposure). They can last longer than a season.

Some people are fortunate enough to burn through a spool or two each season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
In your opinion does it matter if it's Mono or Fluoro?
Fluoro has a longer shelf life than mono. It takes much longer to degrade. We're talking years.

MP
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

You better "knot" let your Boss see that post Dennis!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I replace mine every couple of seasons if I don't burn through it faster than that. I use mono for my dry fly fishing and flouro for streamers. Flouro sinks better than mono.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 AM

threeweight will become famous soon enough

The one time I tested fluorocarbon vs standard monofilament of a given strength, NEITHER of them could hold the stated weight in a dead lift. So hard for me to prove it's any stronger. And the failure was not my knots! Perhaps there is a benefit to fluorocarbon when the tippet spooks fish using dries on flat water. I have not tested that.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I replace mine when it runs out.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I replace mine every couple years.

Larry

Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

With as few fish as I have been getting into lately, I suppose it really doesn't matter what the condition of my tippet is.... no fish = no risk of breaking.

As for mono vs. flouro-- I'm on board with Davo-- mono (buoyancy neutral) for top water, flouro for streamers.

I've never noticed a discrepancy in 'strengths' between the two. I use the cheap stuff (trilene or stren)-- they can be found anywhere, can be bought with the change in your pocket, and in a pinch, you can floss your teeth with it.

Of course, If I needed 100 pound tippet, I could just walk the banks of my local waters and find 7000 yds of the stuff that some genius ripped off of his bait caster when he managed a mean bird's nest.... Some consider that littering and being inconsiderate-- I call it 'paying it forward'-- Sure is nice of those guys to offer line for others to use. /// rant over//// Sorry...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a spool of 7x Orvis SuperStrong that's probably 20 years old and still good.... I don't ever use 7x so it lasts a while

As for Flouro. The first spool that I ever had degraded in less than 3 months
Never trusted flouro after that.
I have a couple of spools but they've never been used
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

When I notice that more fish are breaking off, knots aren't holding as well, etc, then I replace it. Don't see a reason to throw out good tippet only because it hits a certain age.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog