The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default nymph to dry?

what knot do you use? i'm going out tomorrow, and would like to know so i can hopefully get some trout!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 PM

wild trout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nymph to dry?

Maybe its me but I'm not sure of the question.

Do you mean a dry/dropper? If so, I do a clinch knot off the hook bend of the dry. About a 12-16" leader and the nymph.

You can also do a nymph first, something heavy, like copper john, and then an emerger so it looks like it's floating to the top. Make sure you use a midge pattern though.

WT
Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a clinch knot off the bend as well. The trick is keeping the tippet on
the bend while tying. I've been using tandem rigs for the past few weeks,
mostly because they've been producing nicely.

I check the tippet every 5-6 casts, as the trailing fly can wrap around the
lead fly's tail, especially when using finer tippets for the dropper.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I just started fishing tandem rigs, and I use a uni knot on the first fly, leaving the tag end about 12-14 inches long, and tie the second on the tag. It seems to work ok, though, I have foul hooked a fish once or twice on the trailing fly. I have been thinking about doing a double surgeons knot on the first fly, taking the fly through the loop, and leaving the loop about an inch long to get the first fly away from the dropper line. I just don't trust tying on to the hook bend, everyone says it works with barbless or mashed down barbs, but like I said, I havent done it enought to trust it yet.

d
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 AM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

I do it with barbed hooks and never had a problem. My buddy that showed me is a guide and he fishes it this way. I figure if it's good for him, who fishes 3-7 days a week, it's good for me.

WT
Old 12-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Improved clinch off the bend of the dry fly hook.....However I tie my knot first without the hook involved...then simply leave the little loop open and slip it over the bend and tighten. You should practice this...makes it easier in my opinion. Over the years I've just started using the Davy Knot for leader to hook eye connections....just such a simple knot - it doesn't fail me....and for smaller dries...this knot gives a much tighter/cleaner fight against the hook eye as less leader material is involved. If I'm in a rush and fishing an area with smaller fish....I've even tied a Davy knot on the hook bend instead of the clinch for expediency purposes...but I don't recommend this - it can and has come off on bigger fish.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 PM

thanks for all the help guys... i ended up braking my rod so a bust on my trip!

fished at rio rapids... nada, so we moved to the the damn, packed up the campsite i put my pole in last (just two pieces(instead of 4)) when we got there i took it out and sure enough when im rigging up i see the crack in my third piece(from the bottom)

don't wanna blame my buddy sitting in the back, but...
then again i was lazy enough not to put it in four pieces...

its cracked all around the bottom (litterally all around). not sure what to do with it cause i didn't know about the warranty cause my parents got it for xmas for me last year and they discontinued that model.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
thanks for all the help guys... i ended up braking my rod so a bust on my trip!

fished at rio rapids... nada, so we moved to the the damn, packed up the campsite i put my pole in last (just two pieces(instead of 4)) when we got there i took it out and sure enough when im rigging up i see the crack in my third piece(from the bottom)

don't wanna blame my buddy sitting in the back, but...
then again i was lazy enough not to put it in four pieces...

its cracked all around the bottom (litterally all around). not sure what to do with it cause i didn't know about the warranty cause my parents got it for xmas for me last year and they discontinued that model.
Mikey: That is indeed sad news, sorry to hear that your fly rod has been broken!

Larry
Old 12-23-2009, 12:19 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

They should replace it with a comparable/even better rod. Call the manufacturer, and let them know what happened. You should be pleasantly
surprised .
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
They should replace it with a comparable/even better rod. Call the manufacturer, and let them know what happened. You should be pleasantly
surprised .
alright sounds good! this kinda reminds me to get my zero gravity under warranty now! haha i put it off cause we were moving