The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 06:21 AM

wild trout is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line for Helios

I have a 9' 5wt mid flex Helios and want a good line for it. I'm not sure if a WF or DT line is better for it. I have a Lamson Velocity 2.0 reel on it.

I was thinking of a Trout line or like a Rio Gold.

It will be a general rod for dries, wets and nymphs. Thanks

WT
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly line for Helios

I like DT for all general trout fishing applications. The SA Mastery in Gray is on all my spools. I do have two in a fairly dark olive because there were no gray lines in the weights I was after at the time.

DT cast well and are good for line control after the fly and leader are on the water.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

How are you going to fish this rod? Will you be in situations in which you will roll cast more than shoot? If so, you would be better off with the DT. If you are shooting line, go with the WF.

That rod would work well with a Scientific Anglers Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper (WF). It does a lot of everything well. It floats high, casts further, and seems to be very durable. It also is a long bellied line which will roll cast almost as well as a DT. It mends well, too. The taper is not so aggressive, so it lays dry flies down nicely. I use this line on my 6 weight, and I am happy with it.

The Rio Gold is a good choice. Rio uses its best technology to keep it slick for great shooting. It has an extended belly (not as long as the Sharkskin) to give it good roll casting and mending ability. I use this line on my 4 weight.

A couple of years back, I tested the Rio Gold and the Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper on a Sage ZXL 4 weight. The Sharkskin shot better. I had about 10 more feet on the shoot. I could load up the rod more with less line out of the tip with the Rio Gold for close in fishing.

MP
Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same rod and it has Rio Gold in WF5 on it. I use is for all around trout fishing on larger creeks and larger trout. I really like this line quite a bit.
On my lighter rods "Trout Bums" I use WF Rio Trout LT for mostly dry fly fishing. Although I fish small nymphs with it also.
Both of these lines have very low to almost no memory.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends.....
What works well on grass can behave differently on water. Your casting
stroke/style plays a big role, and I've found that I can get accustomed to
most lines. I've pretty much decided to use SA GPX lines to make life simple.
I was using a 6wt with my son a couple weeks ago, and it was really roll casting great. When I got home, I realized that I had a 5wt line on the reel.
Go figure! I do not like lines that coil, or tips that sink, etc. I've only been
disappointed with two lines: an earlier Rio line that I just couldn't stretch the
coils out of, and a Cortland 444 Lazerline that also coiled like a slinky.

If you can get to a shop, they usually have demo lines on a reel. This goes
back to the grass versus water thing, but it'll give you an idea. I'd go middle
of the road, and adjust from there if needed.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have that in the Helios, but in the TL, the T3 and the Zero...Line that is perfect for me is Shark Skin GPX WF. It just works soooooo well together.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a shop that has demo lines, try them out. Rod loading feel is so subjective. On that mid-flex rod, I would stay away from a Sharkskin GPX taper since it is uplined by half a line weight. I would be able to make the rod flex almost all the way to the grip. That isn't for me, but for others, that works great.

MP
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you have a shop that has demo lines, try them out. Rod loading feel is so subjective. On that mid-flex rod, I would stay away from a Sharkskin GPX taper since it is uplined by half a line weight. I would be able to make the rod flex almost all the way to the grip. That isn't for me, but for others, that works great.

MP
Now I haven't felt a noticeable difference in the flex from 1/2 line at all. I will admit, I fish Glass, Bamboo and full flex along with MID FLEX, and I love this line on all. Flex to the grip? Not exactly. I am kind of guessing you haven't tried it.
But then I don't notice much difference using a 6 wt line on my 5....I say much, there is a difference.
As I said, it loads effortless, but the mending is as easy as any other line if not more so as it rides higher.
I agree...all it would take is to try it....;-)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Joni,
I have cast that particular rod with the Ultimate Trout Taper and the Sharkskin GPX. I also cast it with a Rio Selective Trout II DT line. My analysis may be exagerated (having the rod flex almost to the grip), but there is a significant difference in feel on how the rod casts between the two lines.

MP
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Fair enough...good thing we have all these choices, LOL
The mentioned taper is what I prefer and have several, even the LT and JWF and I love that little extra of the GPX.
Again, if the person posting the question COULD possible try these lines out, I KNOW they will feel what I am.
But I will agree the ST II is a good line also. On a 5 wt however, it is WF for me. Personally, I don't care for the DT or the TT on anything over a 4, but just me.
I have bad shoulders from playing bass and any line that makes it easy on them is what I like...;-)