The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM

flyingmonk is on a distinguished road
Smile New fisher looking for tips

I'm new to the sport. I took a class last year and loved it, and would like to spend more time in the sport. Now, I want to buy a rod and reel, and don't wish to have to purchase every two years; I want one to last for many years to come. I like things for the duration.

Thank for the tips to come.

ciao!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New fisher looking for tips

Welcome! I got started back in the spring, so I don't have many tips to offer other than fish as often as you can. There's some great books and DVD's to learn from and this is great forum with guys that are always willing to help.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Monk,

Welcome to the forum, what will you be fishing for? It will also help to know where you live in order to offer up advice.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmonk View Post
I'm new to the sport. I took a class last year and loved it, and would like to spend more time in the sport. Now, I want to buy a rod and reel, and don't wish to have to purchase every two years; I want one to last for many years to come. I like things for the duration.

Thank for the tips to come.

ciao!
Welcome to the sport! Here are two tips.

1. Find yourself a good shop that you feel comfortable with. Be honest with the staff. They will steer you right.

2. Find yoursef a fly fishing club. That way you can network with others who may be in the same situation that you are in. You will also gain some fly fishing partners.

Merry Christmas,
MP
Old 12-24-2009, 08:15 AM

clouserminnow22 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New fisher looking for tips

Im new to the sport to but as a beginner you shouldnt spend to much on your fly pole because you will become more expirenced and know what you need to catch the fish your targeting.Also in the long run, pesonally, i think its better to tie your own flies to. Gives you something to look into.
Good luck and merry christmas
Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

MP gave you some great advice....

Dan
Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Monk,you'll find many tips and info on this great forum.Like Ard said if you give more details about your fishing,you'll get more replies
Old 12-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyingmonk,

Welcome to the Forum and to fly fishing.

You will learn that one rod will not fit every fishing situation. That is why we want to know where and what you will be fishing for. A general budget would also help us give you a better recommendation.

The best advise I can give you is don't go to Walmart and buy the cheapest outfit they have. You say you took a class so that puts you way ahead in getting started. A couple of casting lessons will also help you along so you can concentrate on the fishing.

I think you have came to the right place to help you with all kinds of advise from knowledgeable fly fishers. So tell us a little more about your self and we will fix you right up.

Frank
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I just started fly fishing last spring too. I would suggest checking out the book Fly Fishing: A Trailside Guide by John Merwin. It's a really good book to get your feet wet. It covers everything from Picking out gear, casting, and some general knots (but the knot he uses to ty the fly to the line is very confusing. Use the improved cinch knot. Way easier.) What I found really nice about the book is that it has chapters that discuss fishing for trout, bass, panfish, pike and saltwater fish.

It's also a pretty quick read.

Welcome and good luck!

Anthony