The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Default Chest Waders

1st let me start of by saying sorry if this thread already exists somewhere..

I bought my fly rod and reel in late June early July and have yet to purchase chest waders... If at all possible I would like to spend less than $300 I have looked all around even for some good used ones , but all I seem to find are neoprene in my area as used chest waders go..

I have been keeping my eye on the Redington cpx stockingfoot chest waders for $199.99 has anyone worn these and or heard any news about them good or bad ... Also for basically $80 more they have the cpx in a zipper front , is the front zipper that nice of an option to spend the extra money.. Or if any of you out there have any ideas of some other chest waders I could look into...

I think I liked the Redington , they looked very similar to the Simms at a much discounted price....

Thank You everyone I look forward to hearing your reviews and advice
Jer
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chest Waders

If you're not in a huge hurry I'd keep searching for a new pair of gortex on closeout. This is the right time of year for the deals on last years models. That way you get high end for well under budget.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The best advice I can give you is Do Not buy mail order...Go to a shop where you can try on the models that interest you, and wear the type clothing you will wear when using them.

Dan
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the waders I've purchased in the last 25 years came from Cabelas...mail order.
Right now, I have 3 pairs from them. A pair of 15 year old neoprenes, a pair of 12 year old featherweights, and the newest are 3 year old DryPlus bootfoots that went for around $130.
Except for one pair of their cheap PVC waders, I've never had an issue.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Don't expect to find any Simms or Patagonia high end waders on closeout. They decided not to discontinue any.

MP
Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Don't expect to find any Simms or Patagonia high end waders on closeout. They decided not to discontinue any.

MP
I've found my G3 at a very interesting price on e bay(-40%)...so have a look at times
Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

sorry to but in on your thread but i didnt see the point on createing a new thread about the same question i have been looking at a BISON 5MM NEOPRENE CHEST WADERS on ebay and was wondering if they would be a worthwile buy or should i jusr fork out the extra cash and buy some from a tackle shop so i can try them on before i buy them and is there a big difference between stoking foot waders and ones that are boots also if there is a differance which would be the best to buy and are breaterble waders better i know they puncture easy but what is your opinion and which type would you advise for a begginer
many thanks
vince

Last edited by wilky; 12-24-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: forgot part
Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I bought a pair of the cabelas premium dry plus chest waders and they are great. This year I am planning on getting a pair of the waist highs since I fish mostly spring creeks.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Wilky,
The 5 mil neoprenes are for cold weather hunting and fishing... really cold
The boot foot style goes well with these because there's more wiggle room around the toes that traps heat.
The majority of neoprene waders for fishing are 3 millimeters and most people consider them too warm for an average day on the water, preferring modern breathables.
One good thing about the 5 mil waders however is that they'll last for years without leaking..... that is until you do something to put a hole in them.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wilky: Rip Tide is exactly right, when I lived in Alaska I owned a pair of 5 mm neopreme waders and loved them in the cold wx. Now that I live in WY the only time I can use those neopremes are in the winter or very eary spring. Last year I bought a pair of Orvis waders on sale and love them. They are offering the Pro Guide 3 model for $249, normally they go for $349.
Fishing Chest Waders / Pro Guide 3 Waders -- Orvis

Larry