The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 AM

bellyflop is on a distinguished road
Default Inflatable kayaks

Just wondering if any of you have experience with inflatable kayaks? Seems like a good option for mobility (both in and out of the water) and easier on my back. Specifically, I've been looking at the AdvancedFrame by Advanced Elements, Inc. - Paddling.net So any thoughts on this model or others or inflatable kayaks in general is welcome. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 AM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Where do you want to use it (what type of water)?

I do not have any experience with an inflatable kayak, but I do have kayaks and a float tube.

If you are floating a river (one way), I would rather have a float tube, pontoon craft or raft (like the water master). A kayak is not as stable as the others, and a kayak may or not be able to handle rough water (depends on the design and the person using it).

So what kind of water do you expect to use on?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Inflatable kayaks

Hi Bellyflop,

I've fished from about every kind of boat or raft you can imagine and when it comes to kayak's and canoes I do have an opinion.

These are great little water craft but never take anything along in them that you can not afford to lose! If you are going to be carrying expensive gear or anything that you cherish you had better choose a more stable craft like the previous post advised.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where do you want to use it (what type of water)?

my parents bought a inflateable kayak last summer and we took it to a local lake to try it out and i must say it was a waste of money but it was just a cheapish one so if you maybe got a good make it would be better, the main problem was it didnt have any strenth in the center of it so you got soaking wet , but it was stable enough but thats the only good thing i can say about it

vince
Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where do you want to use it (what type of water)?

Folbot Kayaks Online Store: Citibōt

foldables are supposed to be better than inflatables, but you can see by the price... its a big difference. maye there are other brands you could look into?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the replys. Many good points and questions. I'll answer a few bellow. Sorry for not being more specific of my needs. Belly boats are out as foot surgery has taken away that option. Pontoons are nice and still an option but they look like they may be a bit tougher in the wind on a lake.

Quote:
So what kind of water do you expect to use on?
Mostly still waters but also some slow rivers. No white water. Class I type stuff.

Quote:
These are great little water craft but never take anything along in them that you can not afford to lose!
Good point and one of the reasons I'm considering an inflatable as they are more stable but it's still a concern.

Quote:
foldables are supposed to be better than inflatables
I would agree but cost is just to high for me.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:25 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Personaly, I would get a pontoon...You mentioned the wind as a deterrent; but the wind would be a big factor in an inflatable kayak to me. The other advantage of the pontoon is casting; in that kayak you will be sitting a lot lower in the water...

My $0.02 worth...

Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bellyflop,

I have not seen this boat so my comments or just based on my experience with other inflatable boats and kayaks.

I have seen inflatable kayaks that have no stiffening except for inflatable tubes running end to end of the boat. They were handy to transport but were very wet.

This boat seems to have a very streamlined designed and is equipped with aluminum ribs. Since they call them ribs I assume they go from side to side instead of from end to end. That means in bumpy water the boat will have a tendency to bend from time to time. It is a strange feeling but you can get used to it. I would be cautions taking it into even small rapids if that is the case.

They say the material is: "Heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin material." I am somewhat concerned that they don't tell you the thread count in the tarpaulin. They don't brag on it so it may not be very tough. If it was made with Hypolon then it would be a tough sucker.

I suggest you just be careful and find out just how the material is made and if it is nylon based and what weight or thread count.

Frank
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Thanks for all those specific thoughts Frank. Durability is a real concern. I will look in to those concerns for sure. Getting wet because of center sag seems obvious in hind sight but had never crossed my mind. I appreciate everyone's input. Good all!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

bellyflop: I agree with Dan, you should really take a look at a pontoon. The advantage of a pontoon is that you can move slowly through the water or maintain your position in a light wind with the fins all the while your hands are busy fishing. If you're concerned about stronger winds then get a pontoon capable of carrying a battery operated trolling motor. I see those rigs all the time on the stillwaters I fish.

Larry