The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what to do with all the streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
GVC,

If you simply wish to share the work you could post photographs of the flies along with their names on sites like this forum. Tiers such as myself would in all likelihood replicate the patterns and since they are original work of Mr. Murry we would retain the name of the fly and credit the originator as opposed to claiming the patterns as our own.

You could also contact the Maine State Historical Society to see if they would be interested in having some specimens for display withing the areas of Greenville, Jackman, and Millinocket. These would be towns close to where Mr. Murry lived, guided , and practiced his tying craft. This would perhaps be my first venue if I were seeking to establish a legacy for his fly tying skills.

There is also the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum, they may be interested in some specimens of the work and whatever historical evidence you may have pertaining to Mr. Murry's experiences and accomplishments.

Ard Stetts
Not looking to muddy the water here but I still stand by my original post regarding this topic. I am not suggesting the flies have no value however the word "Legacy" has a nice ring to it.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 PM

gvc is on a distinguished road

only another day or two and I will have a few up so you can see them. I will be interested in what you all think. Thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

It would be nice to have someone build a shadow box(s) professionally done of course, and mount the flies. Small newspaper articles, old photos of gramps tying, fishing, etc., descriptions of the flies can all be put in a shadow box.
You could keep some, donate to the state, get ahold of a local TU chapter and see if they would have any ideas.
Now get them pictures posted man!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What ever you do, do not redo the cards or lose them Keep them with the flies they belong to. You can make the flies nearly worthless by loosing the cards. Photos?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yeah,

About those photos? I'm starting to think there aren't really any flies. I would love to see them if they are valuable they must be a sight..............................
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Another thing you might consider is keeping the collection together. Sometimes in antiques a massive collection, especially with the provenance you have, is worth a lot more than the sum of its parts. If you plan on selling them you might consider auctioning off the collection as a whole - you may get much more that way.