The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Nedd suggestions for best cold wearher waders

I was fishing Thursday in Oak Oarchard Creek in ustate NY and I froze my butt off.
I guess my 68 year old body cannot take the cold like it used to. After about 3 hours my feet were totally numb and my legs were just cold enough that walking was becoming a chore.
I was wearing heavy weight socks and my light weight Simms Goretex stocking foots with fleece long johns and Orvis fleece lined wading pants. My guess is, if my feet stayed warm my legs would have been all right.
I saw on the Simms website that they have a boot foot wader called the Extreme. Does anyone have any experience with this wader in cold conditions?
How about other suggestions; neoprene, boot foot verses stocking foot, brand, etc, etc.
The steels are running and I am dying to get back out, but must stay warmer.
Thanks for any and all answers.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Fleece socks

My only experience with real cold was in Scotland. I wore fleece socks (they come up to just below the knees), long synthetic underwear (top and bottom) and heavy fleece pants and coat under my LL Bean Gortex waders. The air temps were in the 50s, but the water was approximately 40. I spent most of the day in chest deep water, and I was fine. The fleece socks protected my feet all day.

It was a great day - even if I did not catch a salmon. I did have one boil at the fly, and I was able to end any interest I had in a spey rod.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM

bpfohler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nedd suggestions for best cold wearher waders

I love you guys from down state.
Anyone from NY City thinks anything north of the city is upstate. Those us in the great white north (way up on the Canadian -VT border) have a different view. We consider any town closer to PA than the state capital of Albany to be down state.

Now as for the waders, I fish steelhead in Pulaski in cold weather and this is what I like to wear:
-5mm Cabelas neoprene chest waders
-Under Armour Coldgear pants
-fleece sweat pants
-polypropylene sox (very important)
-2 pair of smartwool sox
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Stillwater angler has a spectacular aura aboutStillwater angler has a spectacular aura about

It's gotta be neopreme all the way !! boot foot, ok you may not have the best grip but shove some studs in

I look toward's wool for inner insulation, socks etc.

I get most brand's of fleece jackets and find they are not much better than paper when temperatures plummit !!. We get the cold here in North Yorkshire ........ and i've found a hefty wool lined logger syle shirt { for 10-15 quid } covered by a lightweight gortex wading jacket does the job for me......... oh, don't forget your fingerless gortex gloves

Fred.
Fulling Mill.
Trout Fisherman.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

grgerman, so, are your Simms the ones with the same material the waders are made out of the sock too? In other words, NOT neoprene.

I agree the the Under Armor and I too wear the Fleece Bibs over the body armor on real cold days. Fleece or wool socks
I even have been known to use those toe warmers, but then, I bought my boots big.

I have a pair of the Orvis breathable Boot Foot hippers. The boot fits very nice to.
I think that would be the key...finding a boot that fits really well.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

grgerman: I have to agree with Fred, if you want to stay warm in real cold weather 5mm neopreme waders are the way to go. I lived in Alaska for 16 years and used my neopreme waders when it was cold or wet/windy. Last year I fished the Roaring Fork River in 5 degree wx and the cold didn't bother me at all.

Larry
Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Nedd suggestions for best cold wearher waders

Lambster uses the hunter poppers that get hot and they last 6 to 8 hrs. also use Elpacka socks which are warmer then wool!!!! or fleece! Fleese under wear is also very warm plus you can keep those heat poppers in your gloves to keep your hands warm! Eating trail mix also will keep your metabolism up which helps disperse heat through the body! Coutry boy can servive!

Lambster
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have used the Cabela's 5mm in what amounted to liquid ice up in northern British Columbia. They are great but still limited my use to about 3-5 hours in a tube. I would suggest they are the best for your situation
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I wear my breathables year round; the main change I made was my boots. For this time of year I went bigger on the boots, go at least one foot size larger. After I did that the cold feet problem went away. Layering is the other key; I wear a thin layer of wicking type long johns followed by fleece of varying weights determined by how cold it is. When it's real cold I will wear a pair of wind pants over my layers, sounds funny but it works. For socks a pair of smart wool sock liners along with another smart wool sock. Don't forget a good hat, it will help keep you warm. Never wear cotton in these conditions...There is an old saying; Cotton Kills!

The tip about snacking is a very good one, trail mix, jerky, hunter sausage; anything containing some extra fat will help, don't forget the water.

Dan
Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Years ago when I lived in Michigan and I got rid of my Neo's I never looked back.
The secret to keeping warm is trapping air that your body warms. That's how neo works but the problem with neo is that it does not let water vapor escape so you get damp and clammy.
Good layering under breathable waders keeps you warm in the same way as neo yet allows the moisture your body generates to escape thus making you more comfortable. Breathable aren't as form-flattering either!
I even used this system when ice fishing where you walk quite a distance building up body heat then sit on a bucket in the wind. I've never been more comfortable once I switched.