The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly swap for kids?

A bunch of folks on the board have mentioned that they have kids that tie.

Just wondering if there might be enough interest to run a fly swap for kids-- say 8 years old and up (but completely flexible if you have younger kids that are into it). Depending on the number of kids and ages I bet we could figure out something so younger kids don't have to tie too many flies and have plenty of lead time. And anything goes as far as patterns. I'd like to make it as easy as possible for kids to participate.

I know we have a bunch of youth members- many of whom tie as well. Depending on tying experience they're welcome to jump in too, and are always welcome in the regular fly swaps (as long as it's cool with their folks, and they get permission first).

If you have a kid (or a bunch of kids) that may be interested please respond to the thread with age/s and we'll see if we can put something together.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly swap for kids?

I have an 8 year old that likes to tie.

d
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

I have 2 , an 8 year old and a 12 year old
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

My 12 yo ties um up as well. He's been watching me in the last two swaps and would be interested.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great. Hopefully we can get a couple more kids-- let's see if there's anyone else out there and we'll start one up.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

My son Chase, he's 9, and just getting into this...poor child watches me and now ties some also
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Excellent, looks like we can get something going-- hopefully there's a few more out there...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

just my 2 cents worth, but if we can get 6 that seems to be a good number for a kids swap. That way they are not overwhelmed trying to put 12 together - the younger ones sometimes lose interest and concentration if they have to do too many.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure my son is ready for anything hard......maybe a brassie ?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Great suggestions, let's do it. I'll start a new thread in the fly swap forum we'll limit it to 6 or so, how about a due date of March 15?