The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM

jessie2702 is on a distinguished road
Default Ross new Reel and rod your opnion

Okay I have the opportunity to get the new Ross f1 reel and there new rx rod series for a pretty decent price. The reason I bring it up at all is there is very little information about it on the web or forums. Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to handle them.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross new Reel and rod your opnion

I cannot comment on the Rx rod.

I have a few F1 reels at the shop. The machining is beautiful. Like Hatch reels, the foot is an integrated part of the frame. It isn't screwed on. The dimensions are on par with most modern reels. The F1 has a wide range for the drag. I spun off some line from the rep's reel. It did not birds nest, so it starts smoothly. This is truely a premium reel that can rival others.

MP
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

The current issue of Fly rod & reel magazine has a review of a the Ross RX rod, paired with an Evolution LT reel. They had nothing but good things to say about the rod.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ross is a great company, both should be fine.

ARFE
Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If the RX is the gold colored blank I think everyone will like it; very light feeling in the hand...

Dan
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM

jessie2702 is on a distinguished road

Awesome thats great to hear. I like that the reels are made in colorado and they are a colorado based company. I have really never heard anything all that negative about that company but was just double checking. I have been fly fishing for about 2 years and this will be my first good setup. Thanks for your quick responses.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

The Ross rods are awesome all thorough the line up. The one your speaking of is in fact gold in color almost like a sage launch. Its a super rod with a lot of backbone. Its pretty fast, but not telephone pole fast...just powerful. It feels very similar to the Legend Elite from St. Croix in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 AM

outfortrout is on a distinguished road

The Ross reel is Colorado based and my Cimmeron served me well for 15 yearss, although I try not support Chinese companies, Ross Worldwide - the rod division is not made in USA, but a good product from what I have read and heard.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM

racing_spaniel is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is older but I thought I'd add my two cents and possibly help anyone else who is thinking about buying a Ross RX rod.

Last spring (2012) Cabelas ran a deal on them and a friend and I each picked up a 4wt thinking it was a good buy for the price. I used mine all summer and really liked the feel of it. I thought the fit and finish and quality were lacking though. At the end of the summer I had a guide break so I sent it in for a warranty claim. My friend had his break on a fish in the mid section this spring and he sent his in as well. Ross sent us new rods promptly. First time using my new replacement rod, in fact first fish I hooked (about 13-14 inches), the thing snapped in the mid section. Unacceptable.

It appears that their quality has really taken a dive as a result of them outsourcing the rod manufacturing to China. Their reels are pretty good but I would never recommend buying a rod from them as long as they're made in China.