The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Question Matching the Hatch

For those of you who streamer fish, do you match the hatch? Note the avatar here and the picture at the close of my post, "matching the hatch! A good Micky Finn would be a close match also I'm sure that any number of you know the story of the Muddler or Cockatush Minnow, tied to match a Sculpin on the Nipigon drainage originally or the many bright patters of tandem streamer from Maine that imitate or try to imitate one fish primarily, the smelt. What's your story?
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2011, 09:12 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Re: Matching the Hatch

I toss whatever catches fish.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chuck,
Some streamers that I use are designed to irritate fish just to entice a strike.

Others that I throw will match the different types of baitfish. I have done some seining to get an idea of what to throw. And from past experiences, I have my go to flies for certain waters.

MP
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I used to think that a lot of streamers, as are some flys, were tied originally for attraction purposes, as the Micky Finn is thought to be. With that said, now the longer I fish the less I think that as I find more and more minnows and fry with the wildest color schemes. The minnow in my avatar is the Gilt or Gilded Darter with some about it found here: Der alte Jäger and the fly shown below is just one of many of the fly patterns that might be a match. That one is an Atlantic Salmon pattern called the Cassard. Google "yellow and red salmon flys" Also Just google the Darter Family and then hit images and you'll see dozens of brightly, streamer sized fish and that's just one small branch of the wide spread streamer sized grouping we commonly call minnows. Add to that hundreds of young hatchlings from all our game and forage species and one begins to appreciate what drove those early lure makers as well as fly tyers.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

1. muddler minnow
2. zoo cougar
3. woolhead sculpin
4. clouser
5. white/silver zonker

those 5 in a different range of depth and color should suffice.

ARFE
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My "home" river is loaded with fallfish which are similar to creek chubs.
An all white marabou streamer reverse tied "thunder creek" style is an excellent imitation

The saltwater fishing up this way is all about matching the bait. It's very important to match the length and profile.

sand eel and Gartside sand eel
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

silverside and Ray's fly

peanut bunker

Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Wow, Rip Tide. Great patterns for matching the common food species. Nicely done.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Streamers are just such a broad category. Sometimes the fish want that subtle look that looks like the forage and sometimes, especially bass and panfish want something tht you would never think could catch a fish because it's so bright. Shoot, look at what people have come up with for musky and pike flies. Around here, clousers just the colors to match the shad or baitfish are common. I also just got somemylar body to tie up some of "Davy Wotton Shad".
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM

And that was, in part, my point exactly. How may of the patterns that most assume are attractors were actually based in part on one of the many brightly colored minnows, chubs, sculpins, fry and stonerollers we find in our streams. Even crayfish can and do exhibit huge coloration differences and I've found that pastels mimicing the normal colros in the area being fished are absolutely the best as when a crawdad molts, it's softshell and very vulnerable stage is, "pastel!"

I'm sure that many attractors were made that do not imitate any color found in the wild such as Chartruese, Hot Pink, etc but then all one has to do is look at the Maine Streamers tied primarily for Landlocked Atlantic Salmon and big Squaretails to understand that we often tie in colors that look right to us but may not be quite right to imitate baitfish such as the Smelt that abound in the creeks and lakes there.
Chuck S

Will Rodgers

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

I was taught to catch trout by my father who was a minnow fisherman. Actually, he fished strung minnows with a fly rod. By my early teens I wanted to fish a different way, so I began to focus on fly fishing. That was over fifty years and it seems like fifty days.

Streamer fishing always seems like going back to those strung minnows, which by the way my father gave up, becoming a fly fisherman strictly.

But i've done some streamer fishing over the years. The romance of fishing Carrie Stevens and Lew Oatman's streames wells up at times. I know I can catch more fish on average fishing a Bugger but somehow it lacks something.

I think the size of a streamer is important. I think the action is important and so is presentation. Exact imitation is overrated.