The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 PM

cidme is on a distinguished road
Default cold weather bootfoot waders

My feet get cold very easily. I was wearing stocking foot waders in late Oct early Nov in Syracuse NY for walleye fishing and my feet were freezing after an hour and the water was probably 40-50. Well I want to steelhead fish on the Salmon river now and I know that setup wont work. Has anyone use the duckhunting type waders with 1000grms of thinsulate? I know everyone says neos trap moisture, but how much will you really sweat wading around the river? If anyone whose feet get cold very easily and who fishing in 32 degree water in january I would really appreciate your advice.

Sometimes I feel like those who talk about fishing in the cold dont understand life on the Salmon river

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: cold weather bootfoot waders

I've never tried the 1000 thinsulate, mostly because they are out of my price range! I have however, used the foot warmers you can put in your boots. They do make a marked difference for temperature tolerance and added hours of fun.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably get by with proper layering when wearing breathable waders, but if you are serious about staying warm get a pair of 5 mm neopreme waders. I have used neopreme waders for years fishing in Alaska is downright miserable weather. I now live in Wyoming and the only time I wear the neopremes is for winter fishing, I think the coldest I have been out is -5 degrees F. They will work ok until the temps get into the 50 degree range and then they are just too warm and you will end up sweating.

Larry
Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Im not to worried about the warm weather, I wil have nice lightweight pair or breathables for spring and summer.

The thing I didnt like about the stocking foot waders was that the water was compressing the neoprene right to my foot and there was no airspace for my toes and I couldnt wiggle them to try and warm them up.

Do those foot heaters work well in the stockingfeet? I read they nead oxygen to keep them activated. Doesnt seem like they would get much in that type of wader.

thanks for all the input.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Cidme, Go one or two sizes larger then normal for wading shoes in winter. Tight boots definitely lead to cold feet. Bigger boots along with a good wool liner sock and a wool oversock will help keep your feet warm...

Dan
Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Cidme, Go one or two sizes larger then normal for wading shoes in winter. Tight boots definitely lead to cold feet. Bigger boots along with a good wool liner sock and a wool oversock will help keep your feet warm...

Dan
Dan does the type of waderboot used make a difference? The ones I have are canvas and it doesnt seem like they would hold there shape even if they were bigger.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

One of the drawbacks of tight boots in the winter is reduced circulation, I think what Dan is saying is that you need loose boots (not dangerously loose) to keep an air space and to allow enough room to put on some layered socks, some say nylon then wool, I usually wear a pair of cotton socks, then wool - the water is like 34 degrees, my feet don't usually sweat at 34 degrees, though I could see it happening at warmer water temps.

I'm like you, once my feet get cold the rest of me shortly follows, so I gotta do what I can to keep em warm.

P.S. I just bought a pair of insulated bootfoot hip waders at cabelas today to keep in the car for quick winter stops on the river (on the way home etc) I'm planning on trying them out tomorrow and can let you know how it goes.

Dave
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another piece of the puzzle that can help keep your feet warm in your bootfoots. Add Superfeet REDhot orthopedic insoles to your bootfoots. Besides the orthopedic benefits, the REDhots, with the use of Outlast Adaptive Comfort technology, will help regulate temperature in your bootfoots. For the explanation, click here.

MP
Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Get bootfoot a size larger add orvis wading socks and either toe warmers or the superfeet redhots, like the idea of them am going to get a pair for next year when I get a new pair of winter boots, most likely a pair of 1000 gram thinsulate. I have bad feet (diabetic) and nerve damage ( to many years in cold weather and water)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Cidme, get rid of the boots you described, canvas doesn't give you that much support. I won't try and tell you which boots to get, I have a pair of Simms vibram soles that I bought in the fall and a pair of Cabela's house brand with felt souls; made by Chota I was told. I've fished both in cold weather now and they are great.

Dave, check out some of the SmartWool sock liners, I think you would like them better then your cotton socks.

Dan