The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default carbide cleat "korkers"

I bought a set of carbide korkers many years ago before going on a trip to the Salmon River up near Poulaski NY on the advice of a guy who'd fished there for years on the very slippery rocks.

They did work extremely well, but I was shocked at the destruction of they did to the environment. It looked like a thousand miniture excavators had worked their way down the river scratching up all the rocks. The devastation from those things far overshadowed what was left of the beauty of that river.

I threw my brand new ones in the trash once I realized what I was doing to the place.

If any of you are considering buying them, please keep in mind that everyone who follows you will be seeing your scars of technology for many years. There are other ones on the market which will work plenty well enough. When you leave only footprints, I hope they are not those kind.

Much as I hate seeing laws passed, I would like to see those things outlawed.

If I had a picture, I would post it - but I am thousands of miles from there now.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Jim
Old 01-01-2010, 04:14 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carbide cleat "korkers"

I wore Simms boots with the screw in carbide screws all last year, including in the Salmon River. I have never witnessed any of the problems you mentioned. They grip rocks, etc. extremely well.
I just ordered a pair on neoprenes from Cabales along with Simms studs to screw in.
If I have a problem, I will post it here. Even if there is a little noticable rock damage, it's better than slipping on the ice or slippery rocks and possibly getting hurt or worse.
Happy New Year and may you allways be there on the right day.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

wjc-

I don't often use them for most fishing-- but in some places here in NY including the Salmon River and for fishing some spots in saltwater (rocks at Montauk) they can literally be lifesavers and i wouldn't be caught without them.

Those scratches that you see may be unsightly and distracting, but they stand out because they have cut through the slimy algae that's covered the rocks-- the same slick stuff that could send you flying in heavy current causing serious head injury and/or drowning that claim lives every year in those fisheries.

Rather than being outlawed in some spots they are required -- for instance the Douglaston Salmon Run on NY's Salmon River strongly recommends them all year but requires them after Nov 1 every year for winter steelheading because of the potentially dangerous combo of slippery footing plus a serious risk of hypothermia from taking a spill in the winter.

If you still fish the Salmon River you might want to reconsider.

Last edited by peregrines; 01-12-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

WJC,

Your post, frankly, amazed me. I don't understand how you can justify serious injury or death to fellow fly-fishers just to keep a few river rocks from showing (temporarily) carbide stud scrapes. These rocks, for the most part, were shaped by glacial and heavy river action which far exceed whatever "carving" boot studs do. And in most instances, the scrapings will be re-covered by algae - the reason for needing the boot studs in the first place - in short order.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-04-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
WJC,

Your post, frankly, amazed me. I don't understand how you can justify serious injury or death to fellow fly-fishers just to keep a few river rocks from showing (temporarily) carbide stud scrapes. These rocks, for the most part, were shaped by glacial and heavy river action which far exceed whatever "carving" boot studs do. And in most instances, the scrapings will be re-covered by algae - the reason for needing the boot studs in the first place - in short order.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above quote and want to add my thoughts to the subject.... wjc, you talk of the "devastation" of the river, it's algae that has been scraped off the rocks. The alternatives, felt soles which do not devastate the river by scraping algae off the rocks, but could introduce an exotic to a river if not properly sanitized.... Rock snot, snails, exotics such as those introduced to a river system are far more devastating than rocks being scraped by the studs in a good pair of wading boots.

Dan
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Well said, HuronRiverDan.