The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Curly Animal Hair

I recently purchased deer, elk, and moose hair off of the internet. The hair that I recieved was curly. I tried putting the hair over steam to straighten it but that didnt work to well. Does anybody know anything about how to straighen the hair?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Curly Animal Hair

I'm not sure how long the hair is, but if it is at least a few inches and you know a female with a straightening iron for hair, that would work.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i was going to suggest hair straighteners lol ,i also thought about a iron on a low heat might work if you cut it into thinish strips but i'm not sure as i'm kinda new to fly tying

vince
Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You could try taking / sending it back and explain the problem.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Did you buy it from an on-line shop or individual? I don't remember any part of a deer or the others that I would call curly...

Dan
Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you post a picture of them? I've never seen curly any of them, let alone curly all of them. Are you sure they sent you what you ordered? Or do you mean it has a curve to it, and not straight like a pencil? Or do you mean kinky at the base end? Body hair on Cervids (deer etc.) is hollow and usually Kind of kinky at the base. Buck tail toward the end is straight at the pointy end of the tail, but gets kinky at the body end. You have peaked my curiosity with this curly hair thing.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

Yeah..its mostly curly at the bottom so im guess thats all it is.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have hair from all those animals, and from several suppliers. Never seen
any curly at the base. I'd go with Ard's suggestion of sending it back, or
at least calling the supplier. I'd also be careful to quarantine it from other
fur/feathers, as this doesn't sound kosher at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I'm unsure what you're describing as well, though I've seen hair patches which get somewhat frazzled/kinky if they've been fried in a dye bath for too long. I'd recommend sending the stuff in question back to the dealer though.

As an aside, Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone has about the highest-quality hair (deer, moose, elk, caribou, antelope, and lots of dyed colors) I've seen, and probably is the only place I'd feel safe buying that sort of material online, without seeing it firsthand. Not trying to promo them, it's just been my experience.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com