The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 04:25 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up The Full Creel & New TFO

Thank You Steve just managed to get out today with the new rod. Called Steve on Tuesday, ordered on Wednesday and recieved in by Friday to head out this weekend. Had a couple of hits.(needed a smaller dry fly) Was throwing a size 16 stimulator. (made up as close as I could from the picture) Also was throwing a size 14 wax worm style fly. Needed something around a 20 or so. (couldn't tell what they were)

As far as the new TFO 9' 5wt 4pc. goes it handled great on the water. (tried it yesterday in the yard and the wind didn't cooperate) I was hitting anywhere from 15ft to around 35 ft with about a 2 foot window on the water. Fish were holding under a downed tree. I was able to put my fly where I wanted to every time. The rod just seemed like it was very responsive to what I wanted it to do. Was very pleased with the performance that I got. The rod also included a very nice aluminum rod tube. (TFO has canceled this)

I teamed the rod up with the Echo 46 reel, Cortland backing, and Cortland Rocket fly line. Waiting for the spare spool and Cortland Sink-Tip line to come in. (wasn't in stock)

For anyone that ever wanders what kind of prices you can get from The Full Creel as compared with Cabela's. Cabela's price on this outfit including 2 day shipping was $374.17. Steve was able to put this outfit together for me with 2 day express shipping for $280. (I paid for shipping to get it for this weekend otherwise it would've been less)

The total trip wasn't to bad though. Bigdon managed to hook into a steelhead. (broke his leader though) I was after one when my wife called and ended up watching a young man catch it across from me using shrimp. It probally went around 5lbs or so. Don't know if I would've wanted to tangle with something like that with the 5wt or not. Planning on taking the 8wt with next time. The bait of choice today for them was a jumbo shrimp. Gonna have to go through all my tying material to see if I can come up with something of a good size in white. Thinking about something in a white zonker. The rain ended up driving us off the water.

Again I'd like to thank Steve for all of his help on this new set-up.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:30 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Full Creel & New TFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze69
For anyone that ever wanders what kind of prices you can get from The Full Creel as compared with Cabela's. Cabela's price on this outfit including 2 day shipping was $374.17. Steve was able to put this outfit together for me with 2 day express shipping for $280. (I paid for shipping to get it for this weekend otherwise it would've been less)
I keep telling people they are wasting their money if not buying from TFC..
Old 06-19-2006, 02:10 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Add your experience with the full creel here.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

It continue's to make me feel good about the decision to purchase my first rig thru TFC, when I hear others relay such positive experiences day after day....

Finally had a break from my Field Residency and decided that it was time to learn to fly fish....Based on the membership helping thru the forums, and PM, and then in speaking with Steve at TFC, I dont feel I could have gotten better service from anyone anywhere else.

Once I recieve the gear, I will add to the testimonial page...

Thanks.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

just left my testimonal. one day i'd like to meet steve just to shake his hand. he always been honest and polite. that's hard to find anymore. you talk to someone over the phone and usually they don't know what there talking about. Steve takes the time to explain stuff. Got my order and it arrived just like Steve said it would. (just waiting for 2 items that he had to order)