The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: Release your trout gently

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Being eager to fly fish for flying fish, I like to throw my catch in the air as high as I can over the river while attempting to cast to them. Sadly I have yet to hook up with a flying fish, but I have caught many an oakfish attempting.

Maybe you need a side arm with bird shot then you could fly fish and practice for Duck Season.

PS... My principle is... How long can you hold your breath without needing fresh air? The fish is needs water to breath. The longer you keep him out of water the more likely he will die once released. And just because his gills are moving doesn't mean he is alive.

Last edited by crittergetter; 04-06-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Smack them on the head with a rock, they don't struggle as much, makes for a gentler release.

I release them just as quickly as possible and have decided not to take any more pictures until I start carrying a net, it's just to hard on them otherwise.

Dave
Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

At one of my old bass spots I saw a group of teenagers catching some bluegil, then I saw them tossing them up in the air and kicking them into the lake!!! I couldn't beleive it and it made me so mad I walked over there and said, "I just want to let you guys know in advance, I called Fish & Game and told them what you are doing. They said to hold you till they get here." Those kids packed their gear so fast and high tailed it out of there. I don't see how people could disrespect nature like that.

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I usually yank them from the water, throw them on the ground, stand on their head and then scream like a demon. Then I kick it back into the water; that is if I don't just devour it whole right then and there. If I'm going to show my master over another species, I might as well do it right.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ant...Doesn't it feel better to let out the manly man, sometimes playing the kinder and gentler role is exhausting.

Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Dave, that's 100% correct. Sometimes we just need be be the Old Spice Man on steriods.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Dave, that's 100% correct. Sometimes we just need be be the Old Spice Man on steriods.
ANT, I think you need to get out and fish. Cabin fever seems to be getting to you...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
YES, ABSOLUTELY! He's so amazing fish leap to his net, then release themselves.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
ANT, I think you need to get out and fish. Cabin fever seems to be getting to you...
Don't worry, I plan on getting out today after work.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
YES, ABSOLUTELY! He's so amazing fish leap to his net, then release themselves.
While he rides a giant sea-horse. Oh, I know there are no sea-horses in freshwater streams, but he rides one anyway.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post

Maybe you need a side arm with bird shot then you could fly fish and practice for Duck Season.
I dunno if I'm going to need a shotgun for bird season, on a rough day of fishing not more then a month ago I hooked a canadian goose on a back cast by mistake. He just flew into the black bugger soaring recklessly behind me! It's okay though I released him gently back to the air minus 3 or 4 wing feathers.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'