The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Release your trout gently

I release them as quickly as I can and I always keep them at least partially submerged in my net while removing the hook. Since I don't fish for food, once I've landed the fish, except for an occasional cameo pic, I really have no more need for it.

With all this, I've still seen pretty clear evidence that fish that are caught and released quickly don't do as well as non-hooked fish wrt predators. Case in point: I caught a good sized rainbow a couple of years back, got him released in pretty good time and still watched an eagle take him out of the water within 30 seconds of being released.

So, I'm fully in line with the comment that just because their gills are opening, it doesn't mean that they're fully recovered. Alive and fit to survive are two different things when it comes to released trout.

I may have missed the other side of the story, but what's the downside to releasing your catch quickly and gently?

Pocono
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I dunno if I'm going to need a shotgun for bird season, on a rough day of fishing not more then a month ago I hooked a canadian goose on a back cast by mistake. He just flew into the black bugger soaring recklessly behind me! It's okay though I released him gently back to the air minus 3 or 4 wing feathers.
I hope they were the primary feathers so you got some good biots.

Dave
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I hope they were the primary feathers so you got some good biots.

Dave
nope, beat up wing tips... Saved them anyhow, keep sake for the worst day of fishing ever.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'