The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Fishing shows

Going to be going to the Fly Fishing show in Marlborough, Mass on Jan 15. Do they usually have good deals at these shows? I wish I could go on Sat but unfortunately I work that day.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing shows

There usually are good deals to be had-- more importantly it's usually a good time to try out different rods in the casting pool, meet different vendors, see tying and casting demo's and rub shoulders with some of the FF super heros--- Some of the free seminars are also worth attending.

If you're in the market for something specific, check and write down retail prices before hand so you know if you're getting a deal or not at the show.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Fly Fishing Show runs Friday through Sunday at that location. You should be able to find good deals there.

Some fly shops will bring good deals to the shows. They may try to get rid of carryover stock. Before I worked in the industry, I would pilfer through the discount bins for lines and tying materials. Some of the manufacturers will offer them "show special" product, so they have something to sell dirt cheap. The smarter shops would have bought closeout product that they could sell at a savings to the consumer without losing any margin.

Whenever I go to the shows, I look for tying materials. Usually you can find some vendors that have feathers and fur at discounted prices. I found a nice wet fly cape for $10 a few years back. That is significantly cheaper than the wholesale cost that companies like Whiting offer.

Besides products, there are some very informative presentations. You can watch professional fly tiers do what they get paid to do. You may learn a step that makes tying easy for you. You can learn about fly fishing some destination fisheries. One of the best presentations that I saw was about an Amazon trip. You can learn fishing techniques for your region.

If you go, have a good time.

MP
Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I was reading the brochure and it looks like it will be very educational.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I buy a good portion of my tying supplies from "Cote's"
They're always there
They'll be in a corner booth to accommodate the crowds
Most popular booth in the place

Be sure to hit as many seminars as possible
I may go just to see Alan Caolo's program 'Sight fishing for Striped Bass' yet again
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Will definately check out Cotes. I'm hoping to catch the seminar on Fly Fishing the upper Conneticut River by Lisa Savard.