The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default Zingers

i was just wondering ho many zingers i need on my vest
i prefer to have things handy to use so i dont need to go searching in pockets as when i do i lose things out and was also wondering what the main items i will need on zingers apart from nippers and foreseps i know i'm forgeting something and cant think what lol so any help on what gear i need on me when i go fishing

many thanks

vince
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Zingers

Vince that is a pretty open ended question. I have a couple but I have been trying one of those necklace things with all the snaps etc. as well as adding my two zingers to it. I am not sure there is a definitive answer. Take a look at what you use most, floatant, hemostats, nippers that is what comes to mind. You'll go mad trying not to use your vest pockets!
I have gone to a backpack with the neck unit for the upcoming season, I'll see how that works. Good luck!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Vince,
I probably have way too much stuff on/in my vest, but I only have one zinger, which I pinned to the inside of my vest. It kept snagging stuff so I moved it inside and ran the end of the string and snap out through a small hole. It has my nipper on it.
My hemostats are locked on to the lapel of the vest. I don't sweat losing them as much since I found a cheap source for replacements.
My tippet dispenser with twist-on lead and my floatant/ice-off paste are on the "D" rings out front. I have a small box with holes in it pinned on the side opposite the zinger where I put the flys I take off-drying patches- foam, wool, etc don't work with debarbed flys so I made a box with rubberbands around it and pinnned it to the vest. I put the used fly in, then clip the tippet.
One or two costly losses with full fly boxes or other gear has helped me to (almost) always remember to close the pocket when I'm done in there.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I just have one with both nippers and hemos on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use zingers at all
I have my hemostats clamped to a vest pocket flap and my nippers, which are stored in another pocket, on a short (4") cord attached to the inside of the pocket with a safety pin.
I find that I always use my nippers exactly the same distance from my eyes (close) so there's no need to have that length flexible.

When zingers first came out, I got myself a nice Orvis one.
Broke the first day when I got my nippers stuck in the underbrush and it snapped off.
That was enough for me.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 AM

enjaku is on a distinguished road

I have three, but only use two of them. One holds my nippers, which seems pretty standard for everyone. Another I have a knot tool attached to it. Hemostats are clipped to the front someplace, tippet spools are one a zip-tie attached to a D-ring. My fly box, floatant, and other do-dads are in pockets.

-eric
Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I only use one for my nippers, but don't use a vest so YMMV. I'm always using a waist pack, so I position the thing where it's easily accessible from my left hand. I keep my hemo's attached to my shirt on the front of my left shoulder- handy, but out of the way of the fly line.

After having a few **** out due to springs, corrosion, etc, these are the only kind I will use-
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

I have 3 of those things that cliff uses built into a zippered pocket on the left side of my vest. I have nippers and a mini leatherman attached to them. The zipper is nice because I dont have to worry about anything getting snagged.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

two zingers, One for clippers and leader/tippet straightener, the other for hemo and tiefast tools. I have a box of 100 or so zingers salvaged from a rebranding at a company I worked for and keep 2 extras in the vest pockets.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys i think i'll get one to see if i like it if not i will find a alternitve
thanks again
vince