The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noiso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Back Packing Spots in Northern/Central California

(Note: This was already posted to the Northern CA Fly Fishing Board.)

My girlfriend and I are interested in doing some backpacking/fly fishing trips this spring, summer and fall in the Sierras (or elsewhere). A two - 3 hour (or less) hike in would be preferable - and preferably to a stream, creek or small river with a hungry, opportunistically feeding population of brookies, rainbows or other trout.

We went on five trips together last year to some really nice spots, and although she hooked quite a few, she has yet to land one. Even so, she is very enthusiastic about the sport. She tried it for the first time last June and really loves it, probably because she loves the outdoors regardless. For our 1st anniversary last October I treated her (and myself) to a fly tying lesson at Leland Outfitters SF. She danced with excitement at the prospect - and danced more joyously after the lesson. Next day she showed off the Griffith's Gnats she tied to all of her work mates at the SF SPCA.

I am a very lucky guy and I really want this fair maiden to catch a lot of fish this year! I know some good spots already - but if you can help us out with some more spots where the dinkers will eat anything - please let me know! Especially if they are in close proximity to some more serious fishing.

We are in SF but will travel 4+ hours for a good trip. I've been to the Carson, the McCloud, the Upper Sac, North Fork Yuba and some smaller water as well. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,
~Mark
lou likes this.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back Packing Spots in Northern/Central California

Hi Mark,
If you don't mind hiking to some mountain lakes, here are a few options that I would find fairly easy. I have always been a fan of Emigrant Wilderness that just east of Sonora. For a detailed map, buy the Emigrant Wilderness Map published by Tom Harrison Maps. You can get that at REI.

Kennedy Meadows to Relief Reservior - Start at the Kennedy Meadows Trailhead right off CA 108 near Sonora Pass. The hike is about three hours and fairly easy. There are plenty of places to camp at the reservoir. It is full of Brown Trout and Brookies. Relief Reservior is in the Emigrant Wilderness, so make sure to get a wilderness permit from the Forestry Service station at the Dodge Ridge turn off.

Camp Lake/Bear Lake - I cannot remember the name of the trailhead, but the forestry road that goes to it is right off the road that goes to Dodge Ridge. Start at the trailhead near the Dodge Ridge Ski Resort. The hike will take you about two and a half hours to Camp Lake. If you wish to go to Bear Lake, you will hike another 30 minutes. Both Lakes are full of Brookies. You will be hiking into Emigrant Wilderness, so make sure to get a wilderness permit from the Forestry Service station at the Dodge Ridge turn off.

MP
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you're looking for some hiking most of the recommendations will be lakes as the streams and rivers usually have a road of some type leading there. Anything around Bridgeport would be good but might be a little too far for you but heading towards Truckee and north you will find some good waters. The Little Truckee can be very good if you can get there early or during the week. The Upper Little Truckee and Canyon Creek can be fun as well as Sagehen Creek. All can be found north of Truckee. The Stanislaus or Moke could be fun as well. If you're looking for big Brooks and Cuts I would hike to Kirman Lake with a float tube down by Bridgeport. It's about an hour hike but you can hook into a few 20+ inch fish.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Thanks a bunch folks!
~Mark