The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Greg Lilly's Learn to Fish like a Guide School

I recently listened to an interview with Greg Lilly. He talked about his Learning to Fish Like a Guide school that he puts on in the Spring. It sounds intriguing. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the school or knows anyone who has attended.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Greg Lilly's Learn to Fish like a Guide School

Does he discuss the finer points of profanity and chain-smoking?

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the best thing guides have going for them can be learned in a class. They fish an area a whole bunch. If you go to a single area and fish the snot out of it on a daily basis, you will soon be fishing like a guide, no school. All you have to do now is win the lottery so you can afford to fish every day. Or move right next to the water, and fish before and after work.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I don't think the best thing guides have going for them can be learned in a class. They fish an area a whole bunch. If you go to a single area and fish the snot out of it on a daily basis, you will soon be fishing like a guide, no school. All you have to do now is win the lottery so you can afford to fish every day. Or move right next to the water, and fish before and after work.
Well said Dan, that was my thought exactly.

Larry
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I agree that fishing an area and learning its ins and outs is the best way to get proficient on a certain river. I also agree that the best guides on a given river are the ones who know it intimately and probably even know several fish on a first name basis. I have experienced this on my own tailwater fishery here in Texas. The more time I have spent on the water the more successful I have been. I know the better fish holding areas and how to target them. However, when I travel to other waters I do not have that intimate knowledge and the success rate falls significantly.

The name of the school is probably a little bit of a misnomer. They ran a Guide School for several years, but found that about half of the students had no interest in ever guiding. They were looking at it as more of an advanced fly fishing course. They now have this particular school that focuses on techniques, casting, reading water, etc... It is geared more toward making you a better and more proficient angler overall. That is the part that interests me. I want to become a better angler, not a guide.

I once listened to an interview with Dave Whitlock and he stated that good instruction was the most important factor in learning how to fly fish. He advised that someone new to the sport should take at least half of their gear budget and spend it on instruction. I have been fortunate enough to find a guide that I have fished with several times and get along with well. He has been a good teacher as well as guide. I am a better angler because of it. However, even good teaching guides sacrifice education to get clients on to fish. Basically this school offers advanced fly fishing instruction on some of the best water in SW Montana. It is like a week of guided fishing with much more of an emphasis on education.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Guide schools in the west anyway don't put a lot of people to work as a guide, but they do teach some valuable info. Some of the better ones 7 day schools teach entymolgy, tying, boat handling/rowing, casting, safety/ 1st aid, food preparation. But if you want to be fishy, you have to learn sections of water/ hatches/ what will hatch at different CFS and water temp, fish spawning cycles, you need to be out there. The better fly fishing guides are patient teachers who have fun with their clients and make the day enjoyable. Its a lot more enjoyable if you are on a river with lots of dumb trout!!!
later
Brooks Jessen/ classicjourneyoutfitters.com