The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Good beginner fly tying kit

I have been wanting to learn to tie my own flies for awhile now and have finally decided to find a good kit to get me started since the weather is keeping me inside a lot more than I like. I have no experience with fly tying so I am leaving it in the hands of all the fly tyers on here for suggestions on a good beginner kit to buy to get started. What kits would you recommend or would you purchase everything seperate? I don't mind to spend some money on this as I am sure that I will put it to use for many years to come. It has to beat paying $2 a fly in the fly shop
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good beginner fly tying kit

I got the Cabela's kit for about $50 and it seems to be a good starter kit. It has almost everything you need to start (no bobbin threader?!?!) and a book with some fly recipes in it.

I would also check out youtube for videos on how to tie and different patterns instead of getting pricey books.

-Ant
Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on tying for the long term, get your tools and materials separately. It will be more of an expense right from the beginning, but you will have more long term savings. That will save you from having to replace lower quality tools and materials found in most kits.

Hopefully you have access to someone who can help you out. If you have access to a tying class, I would highly suggest that you take it. If one of your fishing buddies is willing to help you get started, that will help, too.

Good luck with your endeavor.

MP
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I went with the Dr Slicks fly tying kit and a Renzetti pedestal vise. You tube does have a lot of good videos on tying flies.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
It has almost everything you need to start (no bobbin threader?!?!)
-Ant
Don't know if anyone has let you in on this... Even though I have one, I don't use a threader as a threader--- just get your thread going into the tube-- and suck it through.... The threader could scratch the inside of the bobbin tube and cause nicks in the thread.

To the OP, whatever you go with, go ahead and spend a few extra $$$ on a couple more bobbins. Also, don't expect the materials in a starter kit to be of the best quality. They will be alright, but can be frustrating if hackle or other feathers don't yield enough usable length.... etc.

Unfortunately, about all I can say is-- start with what ever, you will learn what you need soon enough. If you r starter is $50.00 and you get a few flies and learning experience from it, I'd call that a win. (I know I've spent $50.00 in worse ways-- usually out of desperation at 3 am and it left me burning when i pee'd )
coolkyle likes this.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, raindogt. I had never heard that. I'll have to try it at my next tying session.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using dental floss threaders for the past few months to thread
bobbins. Works great! Available at grocery stores in 25 packs for around $2.
I've only used one so far, so I might have a lifetime supply.

Budget, no budget, or big time budget on the fly tying gear??? I'd make
my recommendations based on how much you want to spend right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

"Budget, no budget, or big time budget on the fly tying gear??? I'd make
my recommendations based on how much you want to spend right now. "

I really don't know what will be needed so I was figuring around $200 or so to start. Not sure what this will cover.
Tuck
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

****!!!! I had a lengthy post about materials, and accidentally hit the back
button at the end!!!!! I hate when that happens................

Standby....
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I agree with the sentiment that buying things individually will yield a better set in the long run.

Tools---

vise-- No experience with any of cabellas house brand offerings-- but they have promising reviews on the website. can be had for cheap =< $30.00.
Bobbins-- get 2 or 3 or 4
Half hitch tool-- teach yourself to whip finish by hand (with your fingers) before you buy a whip finisher.
hair stacker
good scissors (possibly a few sizes)
Hackle pliers

These are really about the essentials-- you may find that you will work up to others, but these will get you started.-- cost ~$60.00 for 'quality' tools (pending your vise purchase-- you could spend all $200.00 on a vise alone....)

Materials--

what patterns do you use? research what you want to tie and acquire those materials. Get good thread as thread control on smaller (I don't tye anything smaller than 14 or so) flies is essential. don't forget wire and tinsle and the such.

You could aquire the materials for your 5 top flies for about $40.00 or $50.00--

Take the $100.00 or so left over and buy some good single malt scotch, or good beer for your time at the vise.

Also, one thing to consider is work space-- there are lots of 'templates' for a good, cheap, easy to build tying bench online. Might want to consider $20.00 or $30.00 to build one.

Others might disagree, but if you have time indoors to do some research, you will have a great start and can really get what you need minus the clutter that a starter kit might hinder you with.

BUT, for simplicity's sake, a starter kit will get you going quickly and, as I said earlier, you'll know soon enough what you need to get you where you are going. The costs will be about a wash, I'd think. The nice thing about starters is you learn on the materials that you don't mind 'wasting'....

Raindog