The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default The Davy Knot

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241&stc=1&d=1150747696[/img2] The Davy Knot

Better than the Clinch?

Knots that are quick and simple and do a great job of attaching flies to light tippets are few and far between. One such knot is the Davy Knot. This knot’s name is attributed to its inventor, NAFFF’s own Davy Wotton. This knot is certainly worth considering if you want to try something stronger than a clinch, improved clinch or turle this season.

Many anglers now use the Davy knot because it is small and probably the strongest knot out there. It is close to 100% strength because the line wraps around itself only one time creating less friction and less weakening of the line itself. Unless you lubricate the clinch or improved clinch knot liberally, then with the wrapping of at least 5 turns of line around itself, the line weakens considerably. Save the improved clinch for everything but trout and use smaller stronger knots such as the Davy Knot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davy knot1.jpg (6.6 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg Davy knot 2.jpg (5.2 KB, 1254 views)

Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Davy Knot

This looks like a great knot. However, you lost me when you stated "Many anglers now use the Davy knot because it is small and probably the strongest knot out there. It is close to 100% strength because the line wraps around itself only one time creating less friction and less weakening of the line itself." then two sentences later you state "Save the improved clinch for everything but trout and use smaller stronger knots such as the Davy Knot." Are you saying to use this knot for trout size and smaller fish?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

For lighter tippets. You can use the clinch with heavier lines as the friction wont do as much damage to the line.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlHabit
This looks like a great knot. However, you lost me when you stated...
Don't feel bad... I lose myself sometimes.

All that was a round about way of saying that for heavier mono the clinch will continue to work fine if you make sure you wet the knot before pulling it tight. For trout we often find ourselves forced to use smaller leaders and tippet. Heck... It sometimes takes a 6x or 7x tippet to get a 24" San Juan River trout to take your fly. For those, knot friction is a problem. So, the Davy Knot works well for lighter weight mono in that type of situation...

Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

Got it. It looks like a winner to me. I'll definately give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough

So Steve . . .

For a long time Turle knot user, is the the Davy Knot a better deal? The list of advantages you mention are largely reasons I fish the Turle knot -- using it quite often on double nymph rigs with success (holding up on both point and trailer flies).

I guess the kicker for me is if there is a significant tinsel (sp?) strength difference. After all, when I do hook into Moby some day, it would be nice to be using the best knot for the occasion.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

I am sitting here at my vice and can't seem to get the knot to work. The tag keeps slipping through the knot. I am using 5x and a size 10 hook..could we get a larger diagram of the knot. the pic doesn't show weathre the tag goes through our around the big loop...I am slower than some. mike
Old 08-12-2006, 04:51 PM

dukeofurl is on a distinguished road

I have been using this knot since I head about it in field and stream. The easiest way to tie it is to do the following:

1. Go through the Eye
2. Put the tag end under the standing line.
3. Tag over the standing line.
4. Down through the hole
5. Back up and down through the largest (first loop)
6. Hold the tag end close to the head of the fly & draw tight.

Another advantage to this knot which has not been mentioned is that it creates the least amount of leader waste. Done properly you'd only loose 1/4 inch or less of your leader for each fly change.

Below is video on tying the Davy Knot
http://www.itinerantangler.com/podca...tie_the_d.html
Dukeofurl
Old 09-11-2006, 02:18 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Well, with the video connection I finally got that simple knot. I Love how simple it is..I am going to give it a try on my next trip.. I tied a dozen and I think I can now remember it.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Well I played around with this knot while sitting here in the recliner. Can't wait to try it out at the river. If this knot is as strong as it is claimed to be then I have definitely found my knot of choice.
Tuck