The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default can you make leeches wiggle?

ive never actually seen a leech swim in real life, but ive seen videos, and they seem to wiggle back and forth kinda like a snake. is there a way to tie a leech so that it mimicks that swimming style? ive seen crank baits and such have that back and forth action, so perhaps its possible to have something at the eye of the hook to make it wiggle?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can you make leeches wiggle?

There's a product by Marc Petitjean (sp?), called Magic Heads, I believe. It's a plastic cone which you tie in at the head of the fly, and is advertised to produce a wiggling action in the fly. There's videos of it on YouTube, and I once bought a package, though I never seemed to get the advertised results.

Otherwise there's articulated patterns, which incorporate two hooks linked by material (dacron fly backing, bead chain, or monofilament are common). It acts similar to the jointed crankbaits you're referring to, though you also get up and down motion as well as motion side to side. Fish like them

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie a leech pattern with Marabou I loop dub on to the hook wthout a stem using Pettijean clips. It wiggles very realistically in the water. Dry it looks like a big black puff ball. It's one of my two most effective flies. I have caught Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye, Northern Pike and Perch with them and if I had Trout here I'll bet it would work on them too.
Click the image to open in full size.
If you want I'll give you better instructions on tying it. And one last thing, leeches wiggle up and down more like a dolphin swimming. This fly swims the same way due to the lead eyes. It raises as you strip and falls as you pause causes the marabou to "swim". It "swims" like a leech pretty well just because of the eddies created by the eyes.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

thanks for the tips guys. Diver Dan, yes i would like some tying instructions on how you made that fly. it seems quite interesting, and since its winter, i dont have too much to do.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Leeches are very skinny. What you tie them with, and how you tie them are just as important as how they are fished.That's just my opinion. I don't think they need to be articulated. Stripping the fly in and pausing at certain intervals make it wiggle.
Here's a great article on just what you're looking for. He mentions Mike Andreason's book "Effective Lake Flies" which is killer book. Mike also has ABOX brand Canadian Mohair Leech dubbing.
Killer Leeches | Creating the illusion of a living leech.| 1
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I tye an ant with sm black Rainey foam. Instead of a wing, I added a small strip of black rabbit instead. Wasn't pretty.
Fished it too great effect. I asked A Burk what to call a floating leech? He said, that's easy, "A Fleech". A two-step guides fly. Serve with small short smooth twitches on a sink tip or full sink line. A floating line with a split shot works in the shallows.
Dan's correct, they ungulate up and down, and slowly. Trout love these free swimming morsels.
Enjoy!
Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjchar View Post
thanks for the tips guys. Diver Dan, yes i would like some tying instructions on how you made that fly. it seems quite interesting, and since its winter, i dont have too much to do.
I'll tie one and take pictures. I'll post the steps in share patterns. Because it's tied without stems you have to bust every single fiber to make it bald. It is a really tough fly. Pike clip them off well before I wear one out. I'll get to work on it today.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

aftonangler will become famous soon enough

Chronic Leech

Tied by Brad Bohen

Hook: Mustad 37160 (sizes #4-#16)
Thread: Red, Orange or Hot Pink
Weight: Lead wire .025-.030 seven to ten turns at apex of shank (opposite of hook point)
Tail: Wild Turkey Marabou about two to three times the length of hook – Natural gray is best but dyed colors can be substituted
Body: Natural Gray Muskrat – again natural gray is best but dyed colors can be substituted as with the tail
Rib: Medium Ultra Wire – copper, gold, red. orange
Back: Scud Back – orange, pink, red

Tying Instructions

The Chronic Leech is a very simple pattern to tie once you get used to working with the slightly odd 37160 hook design. Proper weighting is a key to the design of the pattern – as it is built to roll over on its back when fished. This feature provides for a pattern that is very snag resistant.

Step 1 – Wrap a thread base from the hook eye rearward until the tying thread hangs down just behind the bard of the hook. It is critical to not wrap too far into the bend of this hook as reducing the gap with material bulk will be problematic while attempting to set the hook on a fish.

Step 2 – Wrap seven to ten turns of lead wire at apex of the curve in the hook shank – this will put the weight opposite of the point of the hook. This weighting set-up allows the pattern to roll over on its back when fished.

Step 3 – Tie in Ultra Wire.

Step 4 – Tie in tail of Wild Turkey Marabou. Tail should be about 2-3 times the length of the hook shank.

Step 5 – Tie in Scud Back material.

Step 6 – Underbody – use thread to build up an even underbody from tail to eye of hook. The portion rearward of lead weight should be filled in with tie down material at this point. The portion in front of the lead weight will need to be built-up to match.

Step 7 – Dub the body with muskrat dubbing from tail to eye.

Step 8 – Bring Scud Back material over body wing case style and tie off behind the hook eye.

Step 9 – Rib Ultra Wire forward over body and scud back. Generally 8-12 wraps.

Step – 10 Whip finish and cement head.

Step – 11 Pick out body material between the ribbing to give a nice buggy appearance.

Step – 12 GO FISH!

The Chronic Leech was originally designed to deal with very picky spring creek trout in the upper Driftless region of Wisconsin. The original fly utilized the luster and sheen of natural wild turkey marabou and natural gray muskrat fiber – these materials give off a very appealing profile in both ultra clear water and off-color conditions.

While the original gray/gray color combination remains the most popular there is an almost limitless ability to mix and match tail and body colors. Black/orange, black/pink, black/blue, olive/olive, olive/green, gray/red, red/red, orange/orange, grey/orange…well you get the picture. You can mix and match to your (and the fishes) hearts content on this one sportsfans.

Since it’s baptism in the spring of 2000 this pattern has been fished all over the globe and has proven effective for over 40 species of fresh and saltwater fish. Spring creek trout, steelhead and salmon, all manner of warm water fish from panfish to bass to walleye to carp and a variety of flats oriented saltwater fish all have shown a fondness for the Chronic Leech.

The key to this pattern is it’s versatility in mimicking a variety of food forms from earthworms, hellgrammites and cranefly larva to swimming mayfly nymphs like hexagenia and isonychia to representing life forms such as crayfish and small baitfish.

The Chronic Leech can be fished right on the bottom without snagging up. It makes a dynamite winter trout and steelhead pattern – let it sink into the deepest hole and ever-so-slowly twitch it back across the bottom.

Or you can fish it dead drift through riffle water and deep runs…

Or swing it wet fly style…

Or strip and twitch it like a streamer!

I am happy that this pattern has provided so many anglers with such a variety of success. Every season it seems that someone somewhere comes up with another story of taking a difficult fish on a Chronic Leech.

Paul Mueller the former owner of Summit Fly Fishing Company in St. Paul, MN took a trout on the first cast of the first Chronic Leech and I thought to myself hmmmm, this may be a good one. It is!

Tie on and try one for yourself :cool
Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

I tie a double hook rabbit zonker, the back hook I put 6 wraps of lead, tie as normal with a 1.5 inch tail wrapping around the hook, finish head like a streamer, then I use 10lb clear line to connect the rear hook (about 1/4" behind the front hook. the front hook has a small cone head backed by thin lead to keep the cone steady, then half way about even with the point wrap a larger dia. lead, make small tail so as not to get caught up, then wrap as usual, the weight system here makes the tail "swing" when twitched, and heavy enough to get down, and swim it.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Afton angler, thanks for posting the method to the pattern. Looks like I should have a few in my box. The Catatonic leach they sell up here is basically a hook with barbell eyes and alot of marabou. Yours looks quite different. Thanks again.....K
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.