The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Default Wet or Dry?

Just picked up some trout flies at an estate sale that are all thrown in together. Having always purchased my flies as needed by type, i.e., wet, dry, streamers, nymphs, etc. the following question has come up: Is there any way to tell if a fly was tied to be wet or dry simply by looking at it? The bead heads, streamers. wire wound, foam body, and the larger wooly bugger type are easy to identify but what about all the ones that I might call the classic flies? Is there a rule of thumb to go by?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wet or Dry?

Its tough to say theres a rule of thumb but there are a few things you can look at right off. Is it hackled (the collar of rigid feathers like on an adams) or does it have a deer hair wing (such as an elk hair caddis or stimulator). If so its likely a dry, however, many wets are hackled with a softer collar. There are so many types and variations its going to be very hard to tell unless your familiar with tying materials in which case you wouldn't be asking. How many do you have? Perhaps you can post some pics of some of the flies representitive of each style you have picked up. You can also just google fly fishing flys and then make some comparisons on retailer sites. Many mayfly, stonefly drys have very similar builds that will give themselves away as well as various wets, winged wets, etc. This should actually be a good excercise for you in learning flys and recognizing them and their appropriate application. For the longest time my fly fishing consisted of buying a few flys that were recommended and fishing them without really knowing why. When I made a point to learn flys better my knowledge rapidly expanded as well as my effectiveness as a fisherman.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The hackle on dry flies should feel "pointy" when touched to your lips, while wet fly hackle would be soft.
Hooks on wet flies most often are of a more stout dimension. Dry flies are nearly always tied on a finer wire hooks.
Also,wet flies may be weighted. Squeeze to see if there's lead under the dubbing.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Maybe use dry fly in a google image search, it may help a bit.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Classic Wet:
Click the image to open in full size.

Classic Dry:

The first fly is a Leadwing Coachman, and tied "down wing". Most down
wing flies are wet, but not all. Tent wing caddis are tied down wing, but have
several turns of hackle wound 360 degrees around the hook:

That should give you a good idea....
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas! Have found several sites that have great pics and also recv,d a copy of Orvis's fly selection catalog. Am enjoying the learning process and am sure that when the trout streams are available to me again I'll be more comfortable with what I am presenting. Might not catch more fish but will be more comfortable!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

FrankB2: Did you tie those flies? They are really nice!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

No..... Just snatched them off Google Images.

P.S. I did tie these Adams last weekend:

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dan, very buggy!

Bigfly
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
P.S. I did tie these Adams last weekend:
Those Adams' are very nice!