The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Drying Wading Boots

Wondered how you all dry your wading boots in the winter. I went fishing Tuesday. Got home and put my waders and boots in the garage. It's Friday and the boots are still pretty wet. I'm afraid they'll mildew (haven't yet). Did a search and got a few ideas, but it didn't really cover how people do it on a routine basis. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drying Wading Boots

Jimmie: I don't have a very good answer, I use the garage in the summer and fall and in the winter, the few times I get out I bring them in the utility room until they get dry (very understanding wife).

Larry
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I just let mine air dry. I don't worry about my boots rotting out to mildew.

If you want to dry out your boots inside and out, try this. Stuff some newspaper into your boots. This will take care of the moisture on the inside. Now position your boots so the felt soles are up. Use a plain electric motor fan to blow air on them. The circulation air will dry out any moisture in the felt. Your boots will be dry within a day.

MP
Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I put mine in front of a ceramic electric heater for a bit in the garage and it usually does the trick.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

There are boot dryers that send a low level of heat into the boot. Cabelas has several models and I am sure other companies that sell outdoor products also have them. I used to put them in front of a fan, but the boot dryer is more efficient.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I come back from fishing I clean my boots outside and instde with the water hose and let them dry out,I always wet them before fishing too...it's far easier to put them on
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jimmie: I don't have a very good answer, I use the garage in the summer and fall and in the winter, the few times I get out I bring them in the utility room until they get dry (very understanding wife).

Larry
I do the same.....LOVE MY WIFE...she puts up with my obsession ...I also have a squirt bottle with a bleach water mix I spray on the boots...mostly on the felt.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I flop mine next to the furnace. Cedar chips are supposed to help take away moisture, but I've never tried it with my boots.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I recommend staying away from heat, especially if they're leather.

Air circulation will help, and the newspaper idea sounds good as well. I would think you'd want to do that first, then pull it out after a day or two so the inside can finish drying out. That might also be the perfect time to lay them over on their side so the sole can dry out (if felt).

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

In Alaska when we flew out to fish or when bear hunting with hiking boots, I would stuff the waders or boots with news paper each night. I hated to put cold boots or waders on the next morning. Leave the news paper out the next day to dry and reuse again that night.

With stocking feet you can pull the leg inside out except for the foot. The Foot would dry much faster with the leg folded down to the foot. Stuff the foot with paper and dry the inside of the leg. If the out side doesn't dry it is not a problem. Its going to get wet the next day anyway.

I agree with Cliff, stay away from heat. Warm air is OK but if it makes the rubber hot to the touch, don't do it.

Frank