The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best part of fly tying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
When you knock over an almost full bottle of head cement and it gets everywhere.... :P
One of my friends knocked over a full bottle of head cement on a gold grade Whiting cape. He no longer uses head cement on flies that he ties for himself because of that.

MP
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use one of these applicator bottles for head cement: CLICK HERE
I bought a few at least two years ago, but the first bottle is holding up well.
We were at an Orvis shop last week, and they had a Whiting Silver saddle
in brown. The price was $48 (Orvis SKU), so it must have been NOS. It ties
really well*, and the prices for Whiting are much higher now.

Today's snafu must was tying perfect parachute Adams, only to have the
second hackle break and come unwound.....three times! I must have taken
too many vitamins.

*The hackle that broke was from a Whiting 100 pack, not the saddle patch.
I bought a bunch of 100's a year ago, and they seem much more brittle now.
Live and learn.......
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
One of my friends knocked over a full bottle of head cement on a gold grade Whiting cape. He no longer uses head cement on flies that he ties for himself because of that.

MP
MP: Now that would hurt, losing a gold grade cape!

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Haven't had that one happen, and hope I never do.
The one that drives me crazy is to put three hooks near my vice, do a few things, look back and there are only two. Where do they go?
Jimmie: That used to drive me crazy! One day I had the idea of taking the little magnetic square from the Tiemco hook packs and using some Pliobond to glue it to the base of my vise. Now my loose hooks stay attached to the little magnetic pad......at least for the most part.

Now if I could just solve my problem of dropping either the hook or the bead while attempting to string the bead on the hook!

Larry
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

How about finishing up a fly, and when you are all done, realizing that your rib is wrapped around the hook, I mean completely around the hook gap. Three choices here, untie and retie; cut off the rib and use the thread as a rib by taking it all the way back and all the way forward; try to reconnect the thread at the back and tie in the existing or another rib. Believe it or not I have somewhat successfully done all these at one time or another.

d
Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

This just happened to me a few minutes ago. I pinched down the barb of a finished fly in my vise. I broke the gosh darned hook with my vise jaws.

MP
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 AM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

When you set your third bottle of head cement on the fly shop counter in your first month of tying and the cashier states "your rapidly becoming our best customer... might want to lay off the rum and coke though". Guilty as charged. i have since put in place interventions.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Now if I could just solve my problem of dropping either the hook or the bead while attempting to string the bead on the hook!

Larry[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with bead heads for some beads forcepts work

Ive descovered where my lost hooks go My wifes foot

And ive done the cement thing with a full bottle of super glue luckey it diddnt wreck anything as I learnt not to leave stuff anywhere near the sticky stuff prity early

Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

How many times I've finished a fly and realized I forgot to wrap the ribbing on. It's sticking out the back of the fly like a big tail.

WT
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
MP: Now that would hurt, losing a gold grade cape!

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Jimmie: That used to drive me crazy! One day I had the idea of taking the little magnetic square from the Tiemco hook packs and using some Pliobond to glue it to the base of my vise. Now my loose hooks stay attached to the little magnetic pad......at least for the most part.
GREAT IDEA !!!! I'll use it !
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I ran a strip of that adhesive magnetic strip across the edge of my desk. Caught most of the hooks before they went astray.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.