The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best part of fly tying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Now if I could just solve my problem of dropping either the hook or the bead while attempting to string the bead on the hook!

Larry
I have the same problem with bead heads for some beads forcepts work

Ive descovered where my lost hooks go My wifes foot

And ive done the cement thing with a full bottle of super glue luckey it diddnt wreck anything as I learnt not to leave stuff anywhere near the sticky stuff prity early

Chris[/QUOTE]

Chris: I don't have to worry about the wife, she doesn't like coming in my tying room/computer room, she says it is too messy (and she is right). My problem is keeping the stray hooks out of my foot. Seems like half the time they plop on the rug, they just flat disappear........I try to remember to wear sandels when I'm anywhere near the fly tying desk.

Kerry: I'm not familiar with the product you are talking about, where do you get it?

Larry
Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Larry I think you can find it at sewing shops or Wal-Mart. It is a roll of magnetic material with a peel-off back. It sticks pretty well, though it doesn't seem to do any damage to my desk when it is peeled off.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
Larry I think you can find it at sewing shops or Wal-Mart. It is a roll of magnetic material with a peel-off back. It sticks pretty well, though it doesn't seem to do any damage to my desk when it is peeled off.
Thanks Kerry, next time I'm at Wally World I will see if I can find it. It would be nice to have a second layer of defense!

Larry
Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Haven't had that one happen, and hope I never do.
The one that drives me crazy is to put three hooks near my vice, do a few things, look back and there are only two. Where do they go?
I often find them in my socks.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I did the same thing that ant did and so I got a Renzetti TOOL CADDY. It is made from a soft foam and doesn't move around he table. I kept my cement in the caddy. If I want to pick up the head cement I just pick up the whole caddy. You can do the same thing with a piece of packing foam or old foam bed mattress.

Frank

Renzetti Tool Caddy
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Frank those look great. One of those things I will buy when I come across it. Thanks!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:10 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

to keep my tools sorted.....my bench i have an old style top where I drilled holes to put my tools in....see the front lip on the wooden box with lid....my tools stand up...never in my way and always visible
Click the image to open in full size.
Oh ya...why is is that wives always get hooks in their feet....my tying desk is outside in a 10'x7' metal shed...heated and lit...but OUTSIDE non the less...and she still gets them .....at least I know where to look for them
Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

That caddy looks great. Looks like I have a date with some styrofoam.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Sitting back and watch as a nice night of tying turn into a night of muttering curses because you grabbed your hook storage box wrong and they all spilled out on to the carpet. It only gets more fun from there as you try and find/dig them out of the carpet and put them in their proper place again.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was tying a pattern called an Invicta the other day and when I finished I was picking the dubbing out and snapped the tinsel rib. I posted my best goof fly tying a while back, but.... I was tying a clouser and went to reach for something. The hook was in the vise point up. I jammed it into my forearm clear to the bend. I picked up my tying station with it. The fly was done and just needed the head cement to dry. I ended up pushing it through and cutting off the barb. Wrecked the fly.