The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping A Secret

As most everyone here knows I am a newb to fly fishing and am still struggling to catch the browns and rainbows, but that is another story.

I have found this hole filled with brookies and thru patience, perseverance and luck have really got their number and can catch them consistently. Normally I have this spot to myself but when someone else drifts in I have started a new tactic. If someone gets close enough to see my technique it's reel in time and call it a day and I am gone before they are close enough to ask any questions.

Curious to see what some of the other members are willing to do in order to keep a spot secret.

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Keeping A Secret

Simple really. I don't keep secrets.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, I can't tell you what I do to keep my secrets.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Simple really. I don't keep secrets.
I'm with Davo on this one. I always pass on info on hot spots / honey holes and I hope that most of the others that I encounter on the stream will do the same thing.

Knowing where the fish are doesn't mean that's where you're going to catch them. Everyone's presentation is somewhat different.

Brookies like to strike - that's for sure. Most of them have been pushed into the skinnier upstream waters by the Browns and Rainbows, so they're usually hungry and with the pickins' being somewhat scarce for them, they'll take almost anything that resembles food.

Brookies are my favorite species!

Pocono
Old 04-04-2011, 05:45 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Look, it was college and it was an experimental time for me...oops different secret...

Anyhow- regarding the question, this is my position- I have caught enough fish, I have caught enough trophy fish- my desire to see everyone be successful completely outweighs any desire to camouflage a tactic in order to preserve an illusion that I have the answer to catch fish. That said I have not always been this way and certainly I don't fault the OP for his stance.

Of course I don't share info with someone who I think will abuse the fishery.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I'm not all that smart; if I've figured something out, I'm sure someone else has as well. So it's not really a secret.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I guess I'm like some of the other guys. If/when I find a great spot, I get so excited I can't wait to take someone there and watch the fun.
Different strokes for different folks, no problem there.
Gary
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I tell of everywhere I've been except for one...

It is seldom fished, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm pretty certain that when I show up there, I will be alone. Not to mention I catch browns in the teens everytime I head out there.

Other exception...bait fisherman get no trout holes.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My secret spots usually involve alot of rock humping and boonie crashing in order to get there. But if one finds me fishing them, they are welcome to fish along with me. If that person has the cajones to ask me what is working, I may give him a fly from my box and tell him where to start fishing the run.

The way I look at it is that the water is on public land. Anyone from Austin B. Hummer to Billy Joe Gun Rack can fish it. They are paying their taxes, so it is as much as their piece of water as mine.

MP
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 AM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

I don't believe in secret spots my self. Sharing information to other like minded fly fishers is a part of learning and teaching. Pass the knowledge. Maybe you give the spot to a beginner, and one day he comes back to give you an amazing spot or tactic. We are a small sport and there are holes that have not been found, and have been found but will always be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk