The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Need some opinions on fly boxes and leader wallets

Got some nice gift cards for Cabelas and basspro for Christmas. Just so happens i need some good fly boxes and a leader wallet. Anyone have some suggestions for me as far as the best they have seen or used?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need some opinions on fly boxes and leader wallets

The one box that I like is the SA waterproof seal with the clear door on each side. I've opened and closed mine hundreds of times and they are holding up well. I can spot and select a fly before I ever open it.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I know what 'fly box' means to me-- might not be the same for you......

What are you wanting the box to do?

Does it need to be packable-- so as to fit in your vest pocket? Or do you carry a pack and want all of your flies organized into one (bigger) box?

Does it have to be waterproof? (Of course in a perfect world.....)

Capacity requirements? (again, in a perfect world......)

What do you want to spend?

Never used it, but based on features vs. price, I'd probably opt for something along the lines of the Flambeau blue ribbon fly box. --- removable leafs for ex. storage, foam hook keepers, water proof (ish)--- the only thing that it lacks is 'see through-ness' . reasonably priced in the $20. range.

I can tell you what not to get.... I use old plastic tab closure, with plastic channel type keepers. One wet, one dry. They work. But they ain't slick and cool. On the plus side, they are cheap.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
The one box that I like is the SA waterproof seal with the clear door on each side. I've opened and closed mine hundreds of times and they are holding up well. I can spot and select a fly before I ever open it.
Only problem with the SA boxes is that they're very bulkyl

I would have some suggestions, but as raindogt said, what's your intended use?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Raindogt covered it on boxes. Go to a shop and figure which configuration will work best for you.

As for leader wallets, I like Rio's leader wallet. Each page in the wallet is a zip lock that is the same size of the packaging that leaders come in. You can take the insert out of a leader package and put in a page of the leader wallet. That way you know what size leader that you are pulling out of the wallet.

MP

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 01-11-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Raindogt covered it on boxes. Go to a shop and figure which configuration will work best for you.

As for leader wallets, I like Rio's leader wallet. Each page in the wallet is a zip lock that is the same size of the packaging that leaders come in. You can take the insert out of a leader package and put in a page of the leader wallet. That way you know what size leader that you are pulling out of the wallet.

MP

Click the image to open in full size.

Anybody know of where online I can pick up one of these leader wallets? I have looked at the online stores that the RIO site recommends but can't find them.
THanks,
TUck

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Nevermind...I tracked them down on a couple of sites.
Tuck
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

For fly boxes I prefer CCF as they are well made, don't shatter and hang on to the flies well. From here on in, any new boxes will be water proof for fresh and salt. I also add a leash to them to attach to my vest should I drop one while digging it out or replacing it on the river or boat. I bought those "Bug Luggage" boxes a few years ago but found the fly holders inside coming off due to a faulty glue choice. They are not water reisistant whatsoever so a quick dunking and all your flies are wet. I carry my spare leaders in a ziplock bag to see what I've got.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree great little box.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I picked up Cabela's leader wallet, it's just like Rio's. It's a good way to keep them organized.

Regardless of brand of fly box, I'm convinced that micro-slit foam is the only way to go. I have a couple of the SA System-X boxes that are really nice, but the foam seems to wear out quickly.