The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 AM

blakejd will become famous soon enough
Default Searching out fish

Just curious how many other map geeks there are out there like me that will spend excessive time researching and hiking to most likely fruitless spots in the hopes of nailing a beauty. At this point the forest service is only moderately peeved at me for my visits to determine legal boundaries as I search for more fishable water but I am undeterred. Mainly I persist because I find that many of the "local" fisherman have no clue what I'm talking about when I referance some random drainage as a hint, and rather than waste their time on what some cooky young flyfisherman's clues to great fish they go back to the "great fishing". It makes me smile (a lot). I have great water! And no I won't tell you where but I will give some solid hints if your a local fisherman.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Searching out fish

what state are you in?

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Colorado. Most of my areas revolve around the S Platte and Arkansas. Oh yes if your interested in hints for areas to search out some hungry fish I'll only respond via PM. I'm happy to help people find some fun areas but am hesitant to just post up info that any random search can bring up quick results to my spots and other potential areas so that they can find themselves punished by less gentle fishermen.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Wow...No response. I must really be the only one or perhaps other fishermen are even more protective than me of their water. Just interested in some discussion of how others search out waters off the map (not specific places). For instance I'm a map geek. I have complete topos for several states that I use for research. Those combined with google earth provide me with infinate posibilities for exploration for new water. Major resivoirs and large drainages tend to be my focus but beaver ponds at obscure locations take note in my files.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I am resistant to sharing info because I believe research is good for your character.
Wearout maps, and shoes, and trucks, in the search for "the spot". Then develope character even more by not telling a soul. I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their development too. I use an atlas, and take lots of wild hair drives. They aren't making new water, but lots of new people!

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-25-2010 at 11:29 AM.