The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 11:49 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Default Double Nymph Rig Question

Steve's post on the Davy Knot prompted me on this issue. Having cut my teeth on nymphing in Utah, I often used double nymph rigs. One idea that came up on a couple of occasions was whether to tie your dropper tippet off the bend of the hook of the lead, point, attractor (whatever you want to call it -- help somebody), or off the eye of the lead fly. I think proposed pro's (e.g. a more natural drift possibly increasing your take/catch rate on that lead fly) are noteworthy I but wanted to ask if any of you have tried both, and your preferences, reasons, success, etc.? One issue for those that come off the eye, do you tie a knot leaving 14 to 18 inches of tag end and then use that for your dropper? If so, what knot do you use and is knot selection for such a set up important (like does a take on the dropper put the knot under stress differently and weaken strength)? Thoughts?

TJ
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Double Nymph Rig Question

I just resently on the last 3 outings started using a dropper rig. I have used the Improved Clinch Knot tied to the curve of the hook of my dry fly indicator to my nymph. A resent article in the American Angler titled Caddisfly Master Class by Ed Engle suggest that you tie multi-fly rigs using the tag ends of Blood Knots. Mr. Engle's way provides more action to the dry fly in the way it can be fished.

The Blood Knot is a bit technical for me to tie when I'm hip deep in water so I will continue for now using the Improved Clinch Knot. It all boils down to what knot that you have confidence in and has been successful in the past for me. I may try the Davy's Knot to see how it does for me and will let you know more then.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I've tried them all. I prefer the curve of the hook. For me... its faster and easier. But then I've got short stubby fingers and presbyopia.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:50 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

I've tried a few methods, and my favorite is off the hook bend. It helps angle the top nymph and since they're in line, i feel they tangle less.

When using a dry and dropper If the nymph is pulling the dry under, leaving a real long 'tag' end off the eye of the dry and tying the nymph there will help. my theory is that it pulls on the hackle instead of the tail.

lf
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

When I used to "Double Dip" the Provo River in Utah I liked to rig up like those old saltwater bait rigs with two tags hanging of the tippet about 3-4" and then crimping on two or so splitshots on the bottom. That way I could "bounce" the splities on the bottom and not snag.

Line to rod
|
|
|
|__3-4"___ Fly
|
|
8-10"
|
|__3-4"___ Fly
|
|
8-10"
|
spitshot
Splitshot
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic

Line to rod
|
|
|
|__3-4"___ Fly
|
|
8-10"
|
|__3-4"___ Fly
|
|
8-10"
|
spitshot
Splitshot
never tried that, i just always used a heavily weighted bottom nymph... looks tough to cast. i'll give it a shot next time.

lf
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I like it because when ticking along the bottom you know exactly where your fly is and you only lose split shots. I dont really cast it. Kinda swing it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough

Just got back in town. Thanks to all who have replied. I used to double dip the Provo as well Mike. Never have tried the split shot off the end as you've suggested. I have, however, tried double nymphing with the second fly tied both from eye and bend and find myself going back to the bend of the hook. I use a turle knot in both instances. S'ppose I'll give the Davy knot a try and then stick with what works for moi.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That diagram fshfanatic created is also referred to as the "bounce nymphing rig" I have referred to and that I love to use.

I also agree with Darkknight that the blood knot is a little labor intensive as well, so I use a double surgeons knot to attach another length of tippet and then use the tag I've left long to tie the fly to, same as described above. I find setting up multi fly rigs this way to be the easiest overall.

Having flies tied onto the tag does make them more prone to tangling, but there are ways to avoid this: false cast as little as possible, open your loop, and use unweighted flies. Some might say "what the heck does unweighted flies have to do with it?" but think of it this way. Picture a tetherball pole and its ball on a rope, and how the ball will wrap around that pole with increasing speed if allowed to. Now picture what would happen if it was a beach ball or a nerf ball on the end of the rope. Without a dense item that can defeat air resistance with its own inertia, you wont have the rope wrapped around the pole.

You've surely figured out by now that the pole in the fishing situation is the leader and the tetherball rope is the tag end with the fly representing the fly. Using a weighted fly on a dropper is a great way to increase your tangles while casting. Another thing to keep in mind is that unweighted flies move more while drifting downstream because they don't have their own weight pulling them down. This is one of the great things about the "bounce nymph" rig fshfanatic illustrated. You get two flies moving around alot in the water, and having the weight all the way out at the end of the rig makes the whole leader stay more straight while casting and drifting. (thus making it more like the stiff tetherball pole.)

Steve, does that optical condition you mentioned mean that I can expect to see lots of small spectacles the next time I'm in a formerly-Calvinist church? Good to know the formal name for "muh arms got too short" before I'm afflicted with it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:02 PM

tatco is on a distinguished road

Lots of new things for me to try! Love this forum!
I fish rivers in the Rocky Mountains, the Big Horn, North and South Platte, San Juan, etc. After 30+ years the rig(s) that seem to work best for me are:
12 to 16 inches of tippet tied on with a bloodknot. At the blood knot I put on my weight, as it holds the splitshot from slipping. It's a 4 or 6, but not more than two 6's. Yes that's small but with nymphs I really don't like it to bounce much on the bottom. If I feel the bottom too much I use less weight. Nymphs don't move much they usually just float with the current and if anything, rise. I use either the bend or the eye and have done 3 flies in tandum. Haven't really noticed much difference tied at the bend or eye. I don't false cast. At most, a modified roll cast to get the rig back up stream. I use a yarn indicator, about twice the water depth I'm fishing, from the weight. This works in water up to 5' deep. The trailing fly(s) are 12 to 16 inches from each other. All tied with improved clinch.

In my opinion, a clean, drag free float is the most important aspect of nymph fishing. And don't forget to let the rig rise at the end of the drift. It imparts a rise to the flies that seems to excite the trout into a strike.

Wyoming allows the three flies, Montana allows only two.