The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   question on Waders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/12242-question-waders.html)

luked 01-11-2010 10:32 AM

question on Waders

im new here so please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this...used to fly fish quite a bit a while back but havent in years...so trying to get back into it some still have a few things im trying to get but $$ is tight....but my question is i have a pair of nice Neoprene chest waders but i havent used them in prob 4-5 years or so....is there a good way to check them to see if they leak other than putting them on and walkin into the water? could i try and fill them up with water and check that way?

jpbfly 01-11-2010 12:02 PM

Re: question on Waders

I Don't use neoprene waders anymore when I had leaks that's what I did:
hang your waders so that the sole can touch the ground (outside is better;)fill one leg with a water hose a little above the knee( most of the leaks are there) mark them with a permanent marker,empty them and do the same with the other leg, let them dry and repair with Aquasure.Don't fill the two legs at the same time;)Hope it can help.

Rip Tide 01-11-2010 01:19 PM

what ever you do, don't hang them from your shower head ;)

luked 01-11-2010 07:03 PM

well i put water in them and i have leaks at the seams on the feet...what do i need to repair them with so i can hopefully at least use them for a little bit before i can get new ones.

flytyer_neal 01-12-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luked (Post 77893)
well i put water in them and i have leaks at the seams on the feet...what do i need to repair them with so i can hopefully at least use them for a little bit before i can get new ones.

What I have done to mine, is I sewed the split area.....and here is the weird part.....SHOEGOO...yep...it seals and bonds while staying pliable....just put it on both sides......I had rips where my shoulder straps attach also....a little sewing and shoegoo......back in action

Rip Tide 01-12-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyer_neal (Post 77942)
What I have done to mine, is I sewed the split area.....and here is the weird part.....SHOEGOO...yep...it seals and bonds while staying pliable....just put it on both sides......I had rips where my shoulder straps attach also....a little sewing and shoegoo......back in action

Me too, I use Goop..... which is the same as the Shoegoo
Pull the damaged area apart slightly so that you can squirt in the sealant, then wet your finger and work it in
It will dry well enough to use in minutes and will last for years
I have a 15 year old pair of neoprenes that just keep holding on.

luked 01-12-2010 11:23 AM

Cool thanks guys i got some of the Shogoo at home i have used before on rubber boots...ill try it hope it works will save me some $$ that i can use to save for my new rod and reel

Frank Whiton 01-12-2010 12:44 PM

Hi Luke,

I think you will find a split or tear will hold better if you use a thin piece of material over the repair. A piece of rip stop nylon will do nicely along with the Goop.

1. Get some Goop in the rip/seam and hold the pieces together so there is no gap and let it dry.

2. Now cut a piece of nylon that fits over the seam/tear with an inch on each side of the rip/seam.

3. Take a cheap paint brush and spread the Goop over the out side of the repair and wider to fit the piece of nylon.

4. While everything is wet place the nylon patch over the area on to the Goop.

5. Paint more Goop over the nylon patch so the nylon is well covered. Keep the coats thin and the repair will hardly stick up above the neoprene. Go over the edges of the nylon with the Goop so they wont get caught and pulled up.

With a little imagination you can get a really good patch that will last a long time. You do need to make sure the neoprene is still good. There is no need to repair neoprene waders is the material is deteriorated. If you can easily tear the material I would not repair it. It will just fail again. If the failure is a failed seam because the sewing broke or you caught it on something and it ripped, then go ahead and repair. If neoprene is not stored properly in a hot environment it will eventually deteriorate.

Frank