The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Jonnysuperfly is on a distinguished road
Default Dry fly Video clip and question

When you watch this clip http://www.fishfever.com/node/154 you can see the trout rising and the guy does a nice job landing a few. My question is what is the first thing you do when the sun goes down and the fish stop rising?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:34 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dry fly Video clip and question

Kind of a hard question to awnser,first I guess what fish i'm after.If im throwing dries to browns and the hatch ends,and the fish stop riseing,I will sometimes tie on the old mouse,NIght fishing mice for big browns is one of my favorite things to do.Also keep in mind when the sun goes down not all fish stop riseing!I have had some of the best dry flyfishing right at dusk and well into the night!.Exact patterns seem to matter less and just giving the impression of a floating or hatching insect will often do the trick.Use something with a white post on it,and keep your ears on!!It defenitly takes a little more skill and practice to hook up inthe dark but with practise and patients you can become very successful at landing very large trout in the dark!Often night time is the only chance one will get at the largest trout in the stream,as they become way less shy under the cover of darkness!!
tight lines
Aaron
Old 06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

The American Angler Summer 2006 has an article on page 50 titled "EEK!" by Bob Gwizdz discussing the use of mouse flies to attract monster brown trout. He suggests a Sendek's Mouse and a Madden's Mouse as two of the most promising trout flies for night time fly fishing.

I would think that a beadhead soft hackle or a beadhead wolly bugger would do the trick but I have not fly fished at night. It's hard enough to cast during the day time more less at night.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-24-2006, 05:45 PM

Bugchecker is on a distinguished road

I tie on a larger fly like goddard caddis, stimulator or bugmyster and keep fishing. On still water I have fished as late a midnight and caught lots of fish. Great being out in a toon fishing at night. Nice setting around a campfire with friends to.