The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default whagt size leader and tippet do i need

i have a 3wt rod that i have had for a while but never put a reel on it...got a cheap reel to get me by as well as line and backing but i dont know what size tippet or leaders to get for it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: whagt size leader and tippet do i need

what are you fishing for....................
Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Luked,

While I am not sure exactly what you are asking, I will try to help.

Generally speaking, your leader (with tippet) will be the same length as the rod that it is going on.

As for size, I'm guessing you are throwing flies in the #12 and smaller range with the 3 wt. rod..... If this assumption is correct, your tippet should taper to what is a 5x,6x,7x, or 8x tippet.

I fish for bass and panfish in kansas city. That being said, I've turned to furled leaders and regular mono or flouro fishing line as the 'tippet'. (some may call 'blasphemy!'to this as it is not a proper tapered leader/tippet setup) On my small rod (2 wt. rod) I tie my own leaders starting with 6lb. test at the fly line, and go down to 4 lb., then 2 lb. at the fly.

5 wt. rod has a furled leader and 4 lb. test flouro 'tippet'.

8 wt. rod gets furled, and 6 or 8 or 10 lb. test depending on what I am hoping for that day. (usually 6 lb. test 'tippet')

If you are going with a tapered leader/ tippet set-up, I'd aim for somewhere in the middle (6x tippet-- should deliver a wide variety of flies adequately-- maybe 7x if you are throwing predominantly smaller flies).

Choosing The Right Tippet Size ? Orvis Fly Fishing this might help you out.

hope I helped. And I noticed that you recently joined-- welcome. Lots of help here-- I know I hoarde my fair share of the advice here.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Simple rule of thumb is take the size of your fly and divide it by 3. So if your throwing a size 12 fly, you would use a 4x.

As for a type of leader, many on here swear by a furled leader. I use a tapered leader, but mainly b/c I still have plenty of tapered leaders and am to lazy to get a furled leader and put it on.

If your going to be throwing a lot of different size flies, I would suggest a loop to loop connection between your leader and your line, so you can change leaders on the fly(bad pun intended.)

So I would suggest figuring our about what size flies you'll use (say 12-18) then get a leader or two (in this case a 4x and 5x would work) and also get tippet material in these sizes, so you don't end up hacking back into the thick part of the leader to tie on a fly (I've done it and don't recommend it.)

Ant
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Luked, it's good to see you getting back into it.

Raindogt and Ant gave you great advise.

And as Raindogt mentioned, with a 3 weight you'll probably be throwing flies size 12 or smaller. And are you mostly fishing for trout? (The reason I ask is that the answer might change a bit if you're fishing mostly for panfish using wind resistant poppers for panfish and small bass).

If this is correct (size 12 and smaller trout flies), using the rule of thumb Ant mentioned to get the X size of the leader and tippet you'll need is to divide the fly size by 3 to get the "X size".

So for example a size 12 fly divided by 3 = 4x tippet.

Again assuming you're going to be fishing size 12 flies and/or smaller, I'd get a knotless monofilament leader tapered to 4X. They typically come in 7 1/2', 9' or 12 ' long. I'd go with a knotless tapered monofilament leader in either 7 1/2 or 9 feet long.

7 1/2 if you have a rod shorter than 8 feet long, OR if you fish small brushy streams

9' if your rod is 8 feet or longer and you fish open water with some room for casting

To the leader add some spools of monofilament tippet to attach to the end of your tapered leader (about 1 1/2 -2 feet or so). (Mono leaders and tippet are much less expensive than Fluorocarbon)

Add some 4X for flies size 12, 14 and 16 and a spool of 5X for sizes 14, 16, and 18.

That should be fine to start-- you can always add 6X (for 18, 20, 22) and 7X (for 20, 22, 24) if you need to get that small.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

thanks a bunc fellas..that helps a lot....i should have put down what i was going to be mainly fishing for is trout...in smaller streams and springs the smallest fly that i have ever had was a 20 so thats as small as ill prob go for a long time..........man its crazy how much you forget over time not doing something ill get me some leaders and tippet and again i do thank you all alot for the help...i know some of these questions i have been askin are probably strange to some but i just dont have anyone here close to talk to like a good shop or anything like that so have to resort to other means of iinfo...i did go out to my parents house tonight and got some of the older books and so on i had out there from the past that ill look through to get some more info