The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default wadeing boots

i am looking for a pair of wadeing boots but cant decide on what type would be best cleated or felt i know some of the pros and cons for each i am leaning towards the cleated but still unsure in which would be best so any advise would be great

many thanks

vince
Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: wadeing boots

I'm not sure if 'pros and cons of each' (in your post), is a cryptic nod towards TU's felt sole ban by 2011 or not.

By you saying I know the pros and cons of each, but not touching on those pros and cons, we don't know how much you know. I apologize if you are aware, and have weighed Trout Unltd.'s 'no felts by 2011' --- but it needs to be mentioned.

after looking ar Simms website, I noticed that they have no felt offerings for 2010.

I'd hate for you to buy felt, and then not be able to use them for more than one season.

Short of this caveat, I'd say find a pair that fits comfortably over you stocking foots. --Most guys use felt and few are going to be able to give solid reviews on anything otherwise.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Since felt is history (rightfully so), the question is studs or no studs. I vote yes, it's better than doing an impression of a pig on ice. I lost a boot this week (A first for everything). Forced me to break out a new pair (Simms Freestone). I couldn't hardly stand up with my old ones, studs and sole worn off. It made my clients feel better since most stagger like drunks. We have rock snot and other aquatic growths. They came from elsewhere, so I'm big on the change over. Once introduced they are permanent. The only drawback to studs is one needs to stalk more slowly so the noise we make isn't continuous.
My suggestion for new boots, aqua seal all exposed threads with a thin covering of protection. Boots will last for many years if the thread isn't compromised.
Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I recently got a pair of Simms Rivershed Streamtread boots. Hopefully I am going to try them out in Cherokee, NC this Friday for the first time. I am really looking forward to seeing the difference in feel from the felt soles that I have always fished.
Tuck
Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I wouldn't shy away from felt solely because they're going out of fashion. I agree that moving away from felt is the right thing to do, but its going to be a while before they're banned.

When it comes to boots, I am wholeheartedly pro-stud. (unless you're going to be spending time in a boat) I own and fish in both, and GREATLY enjoy the improved traction when I'm wearing the studded ones.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have the same boots as ksigtuck. I finally put 6 of the Simms screw in carbide screw in each boot. The snot rocks were a bit too much. (felt wouldn't have been any better either.) I like the large toe box, they're lighter than felt. Easier to walk on snow (no snow build up like with felt).
There's some new screw in's out now. Simms HardBite Star Cleats.
Seems a little pricy at $40 for 18 of them. They go in the new style vibram soles. But it's cheaper than the Emergency Room bill you'll get for breaking a bone.
Simms HardBite Star Cleat Studs
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
i am looking for a pair of wadeing boots but cant decide on what type would be best cleated or felt i know some of the pros and cons for each i am leaning towards the cleated but still unsure in which would be best so any advise would be great
Why not get both in one boot? Korkers have interchangeable soles - and a wide variety of those, many studded - so you can wear rubber cleats when suitable (like trail-hiking) and then change the soles out for felt, Aquasteath or Sticky Rubber, with or without carbide studs. And they're priced competitively. To my mind, they're the only way to go.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm with big cliff on this: don't avoid felt soely because of the ban, it's going to be a while. Felt works really well in most cases and they're the most affordable. I'll be glad to switch when the time comes and the rubber soles won't be so expensive.
In the meantime, here's an alternative:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG][IMG]IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/JoJer_photos/100_0971.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Click the image to open in full size.
Those old screws are at least 6 years old. They came right out with a nut driver.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Cleated they work really well and are the upcoming thing.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have both types, vibrams and felt. Felt with studs have served me well for winter fishing. The main drawback is the snow build up when walking; I go from 6' to 6'6" after a short walk with wet soles...I don't have that problem with the vibram soles.

If you're only fishing one stream, go with the felts; you don't need to worry about introducing exotics. If you do travel and fish many streams throughout the country, by all means buy some vibram soled boots. To stud or not to stud is up to you...

My $0.02 worth...

Dan

JoJoer, good tip on the sheetmetal screws...