The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Texas Trout

I was way overdue for some time on the water. I needed the head clearing time after the fuss of the holidays, work stress, and the tedium of nursing a geriatric cat with a debilitating mystery illness.

I headed up to the local tailwater after letting it warm up a little, as it had been pretty damn cold for South Texas the night before-
Click the image to open in full size.

I came upon a weird trout hanging out on a shallow flat. It looked like it was pretty decent size, so after initially getting excited about catching it, I was annoyed by her ignoring all the drifts I made on the her near side. I finally put a good one on the far side and found out the reason, the poor girl had her eye gouged out by a heron or something. The thing was no bigger around than Rosie O'Donnell's wrist, but the thing was about 20 damn inches long.

Fished another spot until my fingers quit working after the sun set. Caught more stocker rainbows, but nothing deserving the camera except for this WTF? inducing sight-

Click the image to open in full size.[/report]

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Texas Trout

i dont believe it! i ain't never seen anybody get a trout out of there unless they had a rooster tail on a ultra light spinning rod! :P

reports of pretty damn cold are true! it was no more than 40 degrees one whole week... i live probably fifteen minutes from the Hill Country, and I can't imagine how cold it was that far into the hill country!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Cliff,

Looks like you were braver than I was in taking on the Guad in this weather. I had plans but chickened out . . .
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

BigCliff: Nice report and photos. It sure looked cold there with all the ice hanging off the rocks, especially for S. Texas.

Larry
Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr....nice report Big. Goodness us,a little cold isn't going to prevent us from fishing,caught a one eyed rainbow once....but never a blind one
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I was there in December was this in New Braundfel.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice report and pics Cliff...

"reports of pretty damn cold are true! it was no more than 40 degrees one whole week... " This statement in one of the posts gave me a good chuckle... That's called a heat wave up here in January...lol

Dan
Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The cold wasn't really that bad at all. On the walk back to the truck to drive downstream about 1 PM, I worked up a sweat, and I was down to no gloves, just light fleece and two shirts for the afternoon. (Leading to the chilly hands once the sun passed the canyon rim.)

Expedition weight Capilene (polartec 100 equiv) under Simms waders is a wonderful thing.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The last one is DSFK, right?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
The last one is DSFK, right?
Indeed, and I took a pic cuz it was just weird. A fresh looking headless trout sitting on the bottom of the river. Almost like somebody prepped it for cooking, decided they wanted a burger instead, and flung it in.