The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Coupla questions

They are different in nature, but I thought I'd kill two birds in one shot:

1- I have a DT3F line for my 3wt rod. It's a short 30m line specifically for short rods. Normally, on almost everything else, I've tied a 2-4" piece of 20lb Amnesia to the end of the line with a loop to attach a leader. My question here is this: would one consider the 20lb Amnesia to be a bit large/stiff for a 3wt? Should I step down to some 10 lb mono?

2- I just got a St. Croix Avid 7wt. I already have an Avid in 4wt, so I know that the action is slower than the other stuff I have. With this being said, could one consider this a good streamer rod, if my casting stroke was slowed down to accomodate the loading of the rod? I plan to use it for smallies and light salt water.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coupla questions

1- 20# amnesia should be fine. Hell, I use 40 for 6wt+ and 30 for lighter stuff.

2- That rod should do just fine for streamers, though its a bit softer than I prefer. Make sure to take time to work with it to achieve tight loops before you head to saltwater. You can make a soft rod work in the salt, but you need to be able to tighten up the loops to beat the wind.

A light 7wt can also make a great ladies' redfish rod. (I'm not calling your rod girly, just saying a softer lighter rod generally works better in that situation.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Girley rods?? Ladies rods??? How the heck do they differ from Stud muffin rods or he man rods???? Most WOMEN I know fish with fly rods ... no sexual designation. That's a bunch of horse hooey!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Girley rods?? Ladies rods??? How the heck do they differ from Stud muffin rods or he man rods???? Most WOMEN I know fish with fly rods ... no sexual designation. That's a bunch of horse hooey!
They have smaller grips a couple companies are makeing BIG bucks marketing, Girley rods, but I agree most of the women I know use fly rods, I offered to buy my wife one of those girly rods and she said "why, the two I have work just fine" lol

And yes axel that 7wt will throw streamers fine, just slow things down
Bear
Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Practice makes perfect.