The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Chopping up a full sinking line = sinktips?

I have a 5wt full sinking line that I don't use because I just hate casting the stuff and I rarely have a use for a full sink line. It appears to be a level line with no obvious belly. I got it from my Dad and I have no idea what brand it is, all I know is "it sinks really fast" according to my Pop's. I assume it's a cheap SA, Cortland or RIO line. It is a dark, forest green and seems brand new.

So, can I just cut different length sections and use it as sink tips? I've used the older tungsten impregnated sinktips (the black ones with terrible memory problems), and I hated them. They cast like **** and had basically permanent coils in them. This stuff seems a lot more user friendly and seems about as supple as typical floating line, just a bit heavier.

Since it's level, does it mean there is a denser section in place of a belly on a WF line? I am thinking about putting a loop-to-loop connection at the end of the belly of my WF line so I can take off the tapered section and throw on a sinktip. Would this work or should I just leave it and put the sinktip on a loop at the end of the taper in my flyline (where my leader normally goes)? Could I theoretically weigh sections of the line to figure out if it's t-whatever equivalent?

I want to use the sinktips for stillwater fishing with buggers and such, and also swinging flies for trout (or stripping them in the case of Sea-run Cutts).
Old 04-05-2011, 03:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chopping up a full sinking line = sinktips?

Yes you can cut up a full sink line and make sink tips. Don't get hung up on the T rating because that's based on the sink rate of the full line. Once you cut it up that will change anyway.
I wouldn't loop it to the end of another full line because full lines have a belly or a head portion. You will then be trying to cast the full line plus the sink tip. That could get hairy. You have 3 options for a running line. 1. You can buy a coated level running line in 20 or 30lb test (aprox$25) 2. you can guy a braided runing line which will shoot much better but it's tougher on the hands especially with hard running fish. 3.If you don't want to invest any money until you know you like the system take an old fly line, cut it where the belly ends and only use the running line portion.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I was just thinking of cutting it up into short, 5-7' lengths with loops on each end and basically just building sink-tips, as opposed to building a whole line. I mainly want to avoid having to switch spools and see if I can create an easily castable system as well.

Oh, and as far as I know, t-rating is just grains per line-foot. So, it should be fairly universal if I were to convert grams to grains on a given length of line. T-11 is 11 grains per foot, which is something like .7 grams.

I'm mainly curious if they form a "belly" in a sinking line by just having a heavier section in the middle (like, with a higher tungsten content). If so, I could theoretically have different weights of sink tip cut from this one line.

I might just go for it and I'll report my findings. I think I have a scale somewhere. Pre-made sink tips are pretty spendy for what they are, and if I'm able to cut this line down, I'll have about a dozen of them in different sizes.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
I was just thinking of cutting it up into short, 5-7' lengths with loops on each end and basically just building sink-tips, as opposed to building a whole line. I mainly want to avoid having to switch spools and see if I can create an easily castable system as well.

Oh, and as far as I know, t-rating is just grains per line-foot. So, it should be fairly universal if I were to convert grams to grains on a given length of line. T-11 is 11 grains per foot, which is something like .7 grams.

I'm mainly curious if they form a "belly" in a sinking line by just having a heavier section in the middle (like, with a higher tungsten content). If so, I could theoretically have different weights of sink tip cut from this one line.

I might just go for it and I'll report my findings. I think I have a scale somewhere. Pre-made sink tips are pretty spendy for what they are, and if I'm able to cut this line down, I'll have about a dozen of them in different sizes.
The only time I use sink tips in fresh water is on the fast moving portions of the Delaware for Shad. There a 5-7' sink tip wouldn't help because of the speed of the water. There I use 25-30' sink tips, same thing in the salt. In still water a short sink tip may be helpful, but I've never tried one.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
You're thinking of Rio T-14, T-11, and T-8. The "T" stands for tungsten and the numerals are the grains per foot. You can also get leadcore Cortland LC-13.

Normally I'm all for chopping up lines, but in this case I'd keep the full-sink as is. That is unless you were making a collection of (28') shooting heads.
I have and use 7 or 8 "lead heads" of LC-!3 from 20 feet down to 6 inches. Some sizes are more handy than others.
30' of LC-13 goes for about 12 bucks if you want to experiment. The Rio is $40
Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a 6' and a 12' sink tip I made just this way that have been riding around in my vest for years. I cut them from the back end of a 7 weight full sink. The back end of this line was skinnier than the front, probably an old SA.
I whipped and glued loops on both ends of each.
I've probably only used them a couple of times, on either a 4 wt/5wt lines and rods. They do cast kinda ungainly, but no worse than trying to sink a floating line with lead.
Mostly, they became unnecessary as I upgraded rods and lines and bought regular sink tip and full sink lines.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey