The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Macroinvertebratec study

I'm in a rod & gun club & we have a good stretch of water on the Muskenetcong river here in NJ. I'm putting together the gear & people to do a stream Macro-invertebrate study on the river. I gathered up a lot of info from the internet but I'm wondering if anyone of you people have done one, & can give me any advice. I'm looking for a cheap source of the necessary supplies, net & stuff. I'm also looking for a good source of insect I.D. information. If you have ever done one , what sampling protocol did you use etc.
Thanks
Neil
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Macroinvertebratec study

Hi Neil,

I can't help with any information but a great undertaking. I suggest you go to your local Fish and Game office and ask to speak to a Fish Biologist. He/she should be able to answer your questions.

Frank
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Hope this link helps. This study was done at the urging of a member of my FF Club who sits on this Board.
http://noresuirrivertrust.org/Files/...Survey2010.pdf
Basically colder water was released to support trout but no consideration to what it would do to their food. Hence the study.

Whoops this may not be the study I was referring, but some parts look pertinent.

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-05-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Wrong study.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

"Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout" by Charles Brooks describes the appropriate techniques for what you propose, as well as the materials needed.

"Nymphs" by Ernest Schwiebert is a good starting place for at least assigning orders.

I've read both and highly recommend them to any nymph fisherman. Brooks describes how to survey the streams you fish regularly and how to identify nymphs and other invertabrae. Schwiebert's book is an overview of most commonly found nymphs and other invertebrae, as well as their preferred habitats and behaviors. He also includes some interesting anecdotes and patterns for matching each species he describes.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Neil,

My club has been volunteering for these through our local watershed council. We've been doing collections in the spring and fall, a river mapping project in the summer and a Stonefly search in January for the last couple of years. We collect bugs from sites the authority assigns to our group, bottle them and send them back for ID day.

On ID day we go through our collection, sort them into the various families and groups and attempt to Id them to species. The authority does a final ID and records all the data for the entire watershed.

Check to see if you have a group like this in your area or close; our watershed group provides all the needed equipment and training for the collectors.

Check their website; they may be able to steer you toward a like group in your area. Huron River Watershed Council is the group, you can check them out on Facebook...

Dan
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Oh, its just a thought, but perhaps you might contact the NJ natural resources dept. or whatever they're called these days for some help. Interestingly, they have some people employed there that could be quite a bit of help to you.

Again, just a thought, but, oh you know, always nice to find common bonds to build bridges with. I mean, I can never understand re-inventing the wheel. Ugh.
Gary
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys
Thanks for the responses. I did get in touch with the state & a River watch commission & I just got a response. Seems they were having classes about doing what I want to do & I just missed it, but they are willing to help me. I'm signed up for the on stream part of the last class. even though I missed all the classroom parts. My plan is to take a lot of insect pictures & I'll post some later.

Thanks
Neil

Support the March of Dimes
& their campaign for healthier babies
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

You may also want to check with some of the local state-run universities and community colleges in your area, you may be able to find some entomology resources and faculty there who would be willing to help.

The North American Benthological Society is a professional organization for aquatic researchers, and you can get in touch with them through their website- North American Benthological Society - Index

The American Fisheries Society is another group which may be able to help you, and you can get in touch with them (there's probably a NJ state chapter) at American Fisheries Society

It sounds like an excellent project, and good luck!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Neil,

I took a class that dealt with this subject at PEEC, The Pocono Environmental Education Center back in the 80's. They are located at Dingmans Ferry in Eastern PA. not too far from you but you will no doubt find some closer resources. Making a nymph seine is pretty simple and I would imagine that by now you have found some plans for doing this. The study is interesting and you will enjoy it I'm sure.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;