The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Default Old fly line to leader connect

Several years ago on a trip to Montana while in Billings I purchased leaders that attached to fly line using the " chinese finger trick" method. Had a braided end where you inserted the fly line and then pulled tight. Never failed with the 8-12" mountain trout we were catching. Does anyone know if these are still made?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM

flyfishnflowers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Old fly line to leader connect

I know they still make the loops that you attach onto the end of fly line to make a loop to loop connection with weighted tips or leaders with a perfection loop. They're made by Cortland and called Line-Leader Loop Connectors. I think they have them just about everywhere if this is actually what you're talking about.

Here they are on Cabela's:
Cabela's -- Cortland Line-Leader Loop Connector
Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like the old Orvis braided butt leaders.
The still sell them, but I believe that they have a loop connection
You could always cut the loop off.......
Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply...The Cortland pics may be what I was thinking about..Don't remember the heat shrink but like I said, it was several years ago.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wayland46,

Forget the heat shrink and nail knot the braid to the fly line. Cover the knot with glue and go fishing.

Frank
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yes. Both Cortland and Guidebrod make them, or you can buy the size hollow mono braid you want and make them yourself, which is what I do. The braid is a bit on the heavy side for trout I would think, but is very strong.

That braid is different from regular braided line, Frank and would not tie up in a very good nail knot. I also use it to splice one head to a different running line. It is really noisy going through the guides, but a good way to save money on lines and it's very quick, cheap and strong. I just attach the ends with a 10 turn nail knot of 10 lb test mono (maxima) a small drop of superglue, and taper to the line with "knot sense". Both loops and splices have held up well for me on 130lb tarpon.

One disadadvantage I've heard of, but not experienced myself, is that pesky little baracudda will sometimes hit the braided loops, and cut you off.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I second Frank. Heat shrink = melted line. I speak from experience.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have used the heat shrink and applied it with a blow dryer, worked fine. I like the braided loop connector but there is no way to nail knot it. Braided tapered leaders are around, I used them for about 6 years and they just had a tight sleeve that slid up from the tip to the line/leader connection but did not shrink on.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.