The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM

flyfishnflowers is on a distinguished road
Default Reel-E-Good Post

If you have the means, I highly suggest that you pick up the Reel-E-Good Winder (REELEGOOD.COM home of the Reel E Good fishing line winder system). I don't make or sell this or anything, but I just picked up one and it saved me TONS (probably about two hours) of time cleaning my fly line and switching out some 4 lb test to 2 lb test on my new spinning reel.

Bought it on Ebay, so it came with 2000 yards of 50 lb test. I really have no idea what I'm going to use all that for. A lot of leader butt-sections I guess.

If you have one or are going to get one and need a suggestion on making some extra spools for it, let me know. I found a super cheap solution. Not saying don't support the creator, but 18 bucks for 3 spools is a little intense if you ask me.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reel-E-Good Post

Hi flyfishnflowers,

I have had one since they came on the market. They do work and it makes a lot easier to add or change lines. I have found that just about any spool that holds line will fit. I use old fly line spools.

Now the bad news. I have never liked it due to the looseness of everything. It is made out of plastic and the construction is just not what I would like. When I had my gun shop I always thought about making one just like it out of Aluminum. Unfortunately I never got around to it. Orvis has one that is made out of wood and it may be more stable.

I should clarify that it works fine and does what the maker says it will do. I just don't like the loosey goosey nature of it. It helps to "C" clamp the base to a table.

Frank
Old 01-16-2010, 03:23 PM

The c-clamp is a good idea. Sometimes I have it in my lap though, nothing to c-clamp it to there.

The device itself is really solid if all the screws are tightened all the way. I used my power drill to tighten all the screws down as far as they could go, the unit seems solid to me. Over time things may loosen, but so far, so good.

Anyone else have one of these? What do you think?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info I need one.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Every year, a gentleman in our club contributes a hand crafted line winder to the annual banquet raffle. I've had one for years .
A couple of years ago I won the ReelEGood winder in the same raffle. Not nearly the same quality and I re-gifted it back
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I can imagine the hand crafted ones could be nice or really shoddy, I guess it depends on the workmanship.

If I had all the tools to make a hand-made line winder, I would do that, but it was a LOT cheaper to buy this (especially on Ebay).
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM

DickM. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi flyfishnflowers,

Orvis has one that is made out of wood and it may be more stable.

Frank
The only problem with the Orvis winder is that they have never figured out that it needs a counterbalance to the winding handle or you will end up with backlashes at slow winding speeds.
I ended up making my own out of a screw and some lead fuse wire.
DickM.