The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Boots!!!!!

If you have ever commented on all the different opinions out there about what rod or what reel to use for what purpose you should try to find information on what wading boot to upgrade to! Have a pair of felt soled but am wanting to purchase a pair of rubber sole with or without studs to use where needed or required. After reading all the reviews out there I am more confused that ever. Most of my time will be spent on the streams in Vermont and New Hampshire, the Cherokee, NC area and a month in the Yellowstone area this summer. Are there any Vibram users that can compare this sole to studded?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wading Boots!!!!!

I fished Cherokee on Friday in my Simms Rivershed boots with the vibram soles. This was the first time that I have worn a pair of boots that were not felt and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they gripped. I had my doubts when I first looked at them but just add some studds in the bottom and they grip like a dream.
Tuck
Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My $0.02 worth go with the vibrams, add studs if you need to... If you'll be fishing out of someones boat just remove the studs...

Dan
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have a set of felt, but a fellow I fish with has the vibram soles. I asked him the same question and he proceeded to show me how non-slip they were while we were out on the river. I will be upgrading to that style this year......as soon as I can disguise them as a lamp and bring them into my fly fishing room...
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
I will be upgrading to that style this year......as soon as I can disguise them as a lamp and bring them into my fly fishing room...
you too??? LOL

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies and KERRY...Thanks for both suggestions!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I had to get a new pair recently so I got the Simms G4'S. I got $77 off of the normal price or I would have went with some other simms boot. I added 14 #8 1/2" hex head screws to each boot. That helped. I also added one size to the wading boot when I bought them.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I've seen what one pair of contaminated felt boots does to a beautiful stream.
A pair of rubber galoshes would be better than moving invasive species around!
It breaks my heart to see a stream decline because of something that could've been avoided. Invasive=less surface area on rocks=less bugs=less fish!
Go with the rubber! I think studs are a good call no matter what brand, though the rubber grips better than you'd think.

Bigfly
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've got aquastealth studded and not studded. No felt. We fish among a lot of slick bowling ball size rocks. I'd say more important than studs or no studs is having your wading staff handy. The one place that I find the studs helpful is climbing up/out of rocks. It's probably more of a confidence thing since it's hard to point at studs ever saving my bacon. ("Knock on wood" now that I said that, lol)
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I, like tuck, have the Simms Rivershed boots. I've had them for a little more than a year now. I did put 6 studs in each boot a couple weeks ago, but we have snot rocks in certain parts of the Provo that nothing is going to grip on.
Before that I had the Simms Guide boots with the 5/10 sticky sole and studded. These were leather and pretty heavy when wet. They were still going strong, but I needed/wanted something lighter and a bigger toe box. These fit the bill. They also have some cool ''grippers'' too you can get.
Simms Fishing Products -- StreamTread Sole Technology
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/har...tar_cleat.html