The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 12:21 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default other fishing forum

joined a fishing forum a little more home specific. made one post and from most of the replies you'd thought that i killed someone or something of the such. THANK YOU STEVE AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MAKES THIS THE BEST FORUM ON THE WEB. if you are interested pm and i'll send you a link to this post that i'm referring to.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: other fishing forum

I am hit me
Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Shoot me the link.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Man...

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I joined a small fly fishing forum, made a few posts, posted one my articles, and was then severely chastised by the admin because of my writing style. I'm thinking, "no wonder his membership is low".

Yes... shoot me the link.

Steve

Old 06-23-2006, 11:13 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

You have to register to read it. No thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 11:44 AM

i was afraid of that. if steve or some other moderator gives me permission to post it i will. without permission I WILL NOT COPY AND PASTE IT ON THIS SITE. don't feel that it would be right to do that.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Hmmm... ok go ahead. I might delete it later. But I am no doubt curious. Go for it.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 AM

here goes page one of two :

freeze69

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:11 am Post subject: mc trail creek or little cal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to which one would be better to go to? went to censored creek this past weekend for the first time in many a years. spent most of the time finding all the spots again. i was very disappointed. the best spot looked like the one right on censored. the spot on censored is a total joke, as was the censored site. did find one other site behind the censored though. i've never been to the censored. though and a gentleman on another forum recommended it and directed me to this site.(thanks sparkeymat) any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jerry Freet
aka freeze69

Last edited by freeze69 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

laquerhead

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:35 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little too much info for this site bro.

JustinP

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:45 am Post subject:

STOP NAMING SPECIFIC RIVERS. Next time you go to those spots you'll be even more dissapointed when there's people already fishing.

RyanS

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:32 am Post subject:

not only specific rivers, whats up with the four access points???? not cool dude. PM someone for nfo like that, dont post on the main site please

freeze69

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:33 pm Post subject:

didn't mean to offend anyone. just a simple question. i'm kinda new at this sort of fishing and for one to learn one must ask questions. don't mean to sound like a smart*&&. and if that's the way it sounds then accept my apology.

dimebrightrunner

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm Post subject:

could you edit that please freeze?

Last edited by dimebrightrunner on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Driftabugger

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm Post subject:

Dude edit your first post and delete the names before anymore damage is done!

laquerhead

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:44 pm Post subject:

Its not bein a smart [censored], if you read the terms and conditions it basically says do not divulge spots and accesses. Thye reason is that if Joe blow says " Hey man i slayed em on the blah blah blah at blah " Tomorrow there will b a mess of people there throwin who know what at them ie. snaggers n such. I think most people here are willing to help others out who express ernest interest in fishing and not just "lurking for info to kill em" Thats what the P.M. is for, a cool feature for honest people to communicate with others about. Good luck to ya.

SpinnerMan

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject:

He didn't say he caught a lot of fish at some particular access point. He simple said he went scouting and these were the spots he looked at and was asking for any other suggestions.

As you found out, don't ask about locations, even in a general fashion as you did, even though they are all on the internet.

Here's the Indiana DNR list of public access sites.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishng/county3.html

Additionally, there is the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, that you can access the Little Cal and Salt Creek. You can use http://maps.google.com/ or other site to find access points.

Good Luck,

Ed

swsteel047

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:53 pm Post subject:

as one stated in the recent past...

"PIMP THE RIVERS"

nympher

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm Post subject:

Nice welcome guys. I can feel the love. He is simply trying to find a spot to fish and he gets torn up. If you need spots feel free to PM me I'll share all I know. Every spot you mentioned is very well known and you have done no harm.

fishnutz

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:41 pm Post subject: Why don't you all just leave this guy alone !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinnerMan
He didn't say he caught a lot of fish at some particular access point. He simple said he went scouting and these were the spots he looked at and was asking for any other suggestions.

As you found out, don't ask about locations, even in a general fashion as you did, even though they are all on the internet.

Here's the Indiana DNR list of public access sites.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishng/county3.html

Additionally, there is the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, that you can access the Little Cal and Salt Creek. You can use http://maps.google.com/ or other site to find access points.

Good Luck,

Ed

STEELJ

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:54 pm Post subject:

It's simple - don't name spots or access points --- period. No point in arguing over how well known they are. Nor does the fact they are posted elsewhere make it a good idea to post them here.

I don't understand how anyone that understands steelhead fishing can think it's ok to post specific locations on tiny streams like ours on the internet. And no, that doesn't mean we are mean-spirited, want to keep the rivers to ourselves, hate other fishermen, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

erniebrunetti

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:59 pm Post subject:

Please, only post fishing reports and inquires. This is a public forum and should be treated with respect. Postings that are not a fishing report or information request will be deleted. You must be a Registered member to post in this forum.

You can Register here:
http://steelheadsite.com/forums/prof...?mode=register

By submitting a report, you will help other anglers to have a more successful outing, plus you will have more good Trout Karma for your next outing! Please don't reveal exact locations on our rivers or streams, mention only the river or stream name. This will give other anglers a good indication of how the waters are fishing, but will not impact specific spots on our waters. Never divulge your secret spot !

Please read our Terms Of Use Policy. It discusses the rules of conduct for posting to TSS Forums. It is located here:
http://steelheadsite.com/policy.php

Thomas Steele
Webmaster
The Steelhead Site

chrisfish

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:57 pm Post subject:

There are fish in both systems and the salt right now. Good luck and dont let the neg. responses keep you away.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM

here goes page two. as you can see after some words from me the mood has lightened up somewhat.

RyanS

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:38 pm Post subject:

freeze69 wrote:
didn't mean to offend anyone. just a simple question. i'm kinda new at this sort of fishing and for one to learn one must ask questions. don't mean to sound like a smart*&&. and if that's the way it sounds then accept my apology.

wrong, for one to learn, one must go out to the creek and learn!!, walk, walk, and walk. when you find a good hole, let your close friends know, if any. dont rush home and post where you found fish. you obviosly know some access points, so park your vehicle and start hiking. ask people that are successful out on the water to maybe give you some pointers or tips, most will be glad to show you something, some wont. learning takes time in this game. i think you get the point on posting locations, if you post pics, leaving the background out of the pic is a good idea. no harm done really

Ryan

freeze69

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:11 am Post subject:

first things first. i edited my first post as per request. secondly the locations that i mentioned are available to every person that buys a fishing license in the state of indiana in the fishing requlations book and on-line. thirdly i never even said i saw a fish, let alone even threw a line in the water. did see a few people and talked to them. won't go into what was said. even found a few spots that weren't in the books and one that is that i didn't mention.

one thing is for sure though that after spending good money on the license for this state i'm appaled by the shape of some of the state access points.(want the ones i'm talking about and why pm i'll gladly answer) it isn't just there it's just about every state ran fishing facility that i've been to. between what a license cost, what it cost me to license and plate my boat indiana could diffently take care of the fisherman & woman.

lastly to all the people that came in and stood up for this newby that made several mistakes I SAY THANK YOU. to the rest of you maybe i can prove you wrong. i'm not out as one person put it "lurking for info to kill em" as for naming specific rivers look at your site closly its everywhere some of the first post i read before making this post named rivers. the st joe for one, crooked creek for another, and the pigeon just to name a few.

will i be back i'm not sure if i will or not. not sure if this is the type of forum i want to belong to. ask questions just don't ask about locations or anything else of that nature. not used to that in a forum.

IF I'VE OFFENDED ANYONE OR ANYBODY PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY.

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

ONE LAST THING WENT TO READ YOUR TERMS OF USE POLICY. It discusses the rules of conduct for posting to TSS Forums. it is located here:
http://steelheadsite.com/policy.php

all i get is a error 404.html error page. please direct me to a location that i can open don't know if it's my computer or a internal error.

RyanS

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 am Post subject:

you didnt like the shape the creeks are in?? neither do i, i think that is a big part of why people are so sensitive about posting on these creeks. A LOT of people know about this site, and i believe it does influence a number of peoples choices on where they fish the next day. my brother and i pulled probably 20 miles of fishing line and a total of 7 spoons, 6 spinners, 1 rattle trap, and i pulled two snagging hooks, one was a double treble 4 oz. nasty looking one. all today in about a half hour, 50 yards of creek, right at a public access site today. people that leave all this junk in our creeks are what people dread showing up in there favorite hole. leaving a strip of mono here and there is inevitable. But what was said after you posted was not meant personally to you. i am sure you can understand why we all get uptight about posting specifics.

Ryan

dimebrightrunner

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:20 am Post subject: My first report...

The first time I ever posted a fishing report was on Twenty mile creek in PA. I gave detailed info. just as you did. That night I fished I talked to one another guy. The next morning there were fourteen (14) cars there at daylight when I arrived. That was a public access, state owned property. That was the last time I ever posted locations.

My point being...

It doesn't matter if access points are available on the internet, most people don't even know how to began to search via web. They take advantage of the opportunities presented to them.

I'm not trying to preach but I'm talking from experience in PA waters. It's not fun having someone cast over your line, or get into an argument with someone about ethics..or not even be able to fish your old spot anymore, the worse is losing access because posted land Disrespect comes from overcrowding, which some comes from people talking.

Nor do I think there is a need to apologize; just please don't post locations.

freeze69

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:21 am Post subject:

RyanS wrote:
you didnt like the shape the creeks are in?? .

Ryan

think i got miss understood there. not the creeks but the access points. pm me and i'll give you a run down and my reasoning for them.

STEELJ

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 am Post subject:

Freeze - sounds like you mistook the reactions to your original post as a personal attack. You are obviously a good guy who didn't know any better. We know you didn't mean any harm. Unfortunately it takes a strong reaction to posting locations to get the message out. Don't take it personally.

Driftabugger

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:17 am Post subject:

I was just trying to help you out. The info you gave may be common knowledge to locals but to me it was a starting point. I've seen a lot of spots in Ohio go to shi* thanks to the web. I was just trying to get the point across , no offense was ment.

BIGDON

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:49 am Post subject:

i take it you can't get any advice where to fish in north west indiana for steel on this site? thanks BIGDON

Driftabugger

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:01 am Post subject:

What do you think? I've been trying to plan a trip for two weeks now and the only advise I get is "contact the DNR". Thats the differance I've noticed between the Ohio Forum and here. On the Ohio board most regular posters will help you out and give directions in PM's or they will send you to someone who can help. I help the new guy as much as I can and all I've gotten so far for the Indy guys is the above advise. So I'll put my plea for info out one more time.

BIGDON

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:10 am Post subject:

indiana dnr sucks michigan much better, just look at the book. they must have honey hole and a freezer full. all i want is one to smoke. BIGDON

laquerhead

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15 am Post subject:

" TSS writes"Please don't reveal exact locations on our rivers or streams, mention only the river or stream name. This will give other anglers a good indication of how the waters are fishing, but will not impact specific spots on our waters. Never divulge your secret spot ! " Plain and simple English. This "so far our countrys first language!" Big friggn deal move on already.

BFisher

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:33 am Post subject: "Stopping Naming Specific Rivers".........

Let's see, in the State of Indiana we have basically two ditches which receive runs of lake-run fish. This has been common knowledge since when, the mid seventies???? Yet it's suddenly verboten to whisper their names.. .... BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

BFisher

SpinnerMan

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:35 am Post subject:

I don't get the absolute paranoid behavior related to naming the three main streams in Indiana or public access sites on them. I agree, if you say, I went to access site X and caught 50 giant steelhead. That place will be absolutely over run. Maybe this would be a good way to make sure the hot stretches are empty

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying these are the common access points. This is what every newbie needs to know. I wish the site had a link that identified all the open stretches. This would be very useful. There is a lot of water to fish if you stretch your legs.

If people don't want to do the legwork and are looking for exact spots to fish on a specific day, they can go pound sand. The first poster was asking a very reasonable question. He put in a lot of legwork and was looking for other areas to explore.

freeze69

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:57 am Post subject: access points

we did pound the pavement and such. checked the dnr listed sites and found a couple of others that i won't mention. as far as the creek goes it's what i expected a creek. not much different than a trout stream i went down for almost a mile and back again.

maybe i was a little harsh at first. but it seems that it has gotten people to lighten up a bit. i fish waters in my boat ranging from the IL. state line up into MI. over to Warsaw, IN. down to Montecillo, IN.

as one person said with the line and such. I HAVE TO AGREE. I HATE FINDING ROLLS OF LINE IN THE WATER. OVER THE YEARS I HAVE FOUND IN THE WATER, A COMPLETE ROD AND REEL OUTFIT WITH LURE IN LILLY PADS, 20 SOME LURES, COMPLETE RODS PULLED FROM THE BOTTOM OF LAKES FROM CAROLINA RIG FISHING, SWIM TRUNKS, AND BATHING SUITS, AND WHO KNOWS HOW MUCH FISHING LINE IN MY PROP ON MY BOAT.

but for the most part i love to fish. this was instilled in me from a kid. my step-father is a avid fisherman and so was my grandfather. i was taught never to take what you don't intend to use or eat. over the last ten years i've probally only kept less than 15 fish. i hate fisherman that keep everything that they catch and then complain that theres nothing left to fish for and catch. WISEN PEOPLE is what i say.

as far as drifabugger's post. i wish i could help you out. but being new myself i'm trying to learn also.

the original post has been edited out as requested. all it had in though was infromation that is found in the state requlation booklet.

on our forum here i've seen numerous people ask about spots to fish and the response was overwhelming. people more than eager to help out. why can't it be the same on this site. scared people, fish greedy people, or just morons i'm not sure. IF EVERY FISHING FORUM WAS LIKE THIS ONE I BELIEVE THAT THE FISHING WORLD WOULD BE A NICER PLACE TO FISH IN.

JERRY FREET
aka freeze69

good luck to all and tight lines to all. and yes i'll be in the water and on the water somewhere this weekend.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:10 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

wow!!what a crappy site!I can understand not posting pristene little creeks or secrete spots but that is totally anal!I for one think it's a good idea to "cruse"the other flyfishing forums so we can all see how great this one is!!
tight lines
aaron