The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default First day out this year

Well here it is Jan. 18th and I finaly made it out today. Took my wife and friend to the spring river and what a morning. Crisp (29 deg.) foggy start to the morning, with in 5 minutes our hands were so cold they started to hurt then went numb, but the fish were hitting so we toughed it out. The two biggest fish were a 18" bow my wife caught and a 17" bow I landed, dont know how many fish were caught, but several and all three of us landed some. There was also a wide range of fish caught from bows and a small brown I caught to two smallmouth my wife caught and a couple bluegill my friend and I caught, even one shinner and a sucker. Just as the day was warming up our friends daughter had somehting happen with her eye and we drove back to town early, but she is fine and things like that happen so ni biggie on ending the trip early.
Maybe next week, its the Norfolk river, chances for cutthroat and brookies.
Bear
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First day out this year

Bear: Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water despite the cold temps! Congrats!

Larry
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a nice outing bear, good luck next week also.

d
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good fishing day on the riverenough fish to feed the cubs Bear
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Thanks ya'all. My wife was so damn cute the way she got excited catching that nice bow, looked like a little kid, ofcourse I am STILL hearing about her catching the big fish of the day lol.
It was good seeing her and my friend haveing a good time and catching a few fsh. At times I would just stand back on the bank warming my hands and watching them.
Bear
Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

sounds like a wonderful time.....my son ( 10 ) Chase is going with me in two weeks...he's already in the back yard practice casting.....he has a 5wt 8' generic rod, I think south bend.....it's an old rod of mine.....( he still catches alot of trees ) but he has an okuma reel......works great.....still trying to decide where to go. It's so wonderful to see others catching fish, it reminds us what it was like when we first started.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Way to go Bear. First day out of the year is always exciting. Congratz to the wife too.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer_neal View Post
sounds like a wonderful time.....my son ( 10 ) Chase is going with me in two weeks...he's already in the back yard practice casting.....he has a 5wt 8' generic rod, I think south bend.....it's an old rod of mine.....( he still catches alot of trees ) but he has an okuma reel......works great.....still trying to decide where to go. It's so wonderful to see others catching fish, it reminds us what it was like when we first started.
good to hear your son is into flyfishing at an early age, I hope you two have a great trip

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Way to go Bear. First day out of the year is always exciting. Congratz to the wife too.
Thank you sir, it was a fun trip

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Thank you sir, it was a fun trip
Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a great way to start the year
Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Well here it is Jan. 18th and I finaly made it out today. Took my wife and friend to the spring river and what a morning. Crisp (29 deg.) foggy start to the morning, with in 5 minutes our hands were so cold they started to hurt then went numb, but the fish were hitting so we toughed it out. The two biggest fish were a 18" bow my wife caught and a 17" bow I landed, dont know how many fish were caught, but several and all three of us landed some. There was also a wide range of fish caught from bows and a small brown I caught to two smallmouth my wife caught and a couple bluegill my friend and I caught, even one shinner and a sucker. Just as the day was warming up our friends daughter had somehting happen with her eye and we drove back to town early, but she is fine and things like that happen so ni biggie on ending the trip early.
Maybe next week, its the Norfolk river, chances for cutthroat and brookies.
Bear
Glad you had a good day, where you fishing the white river?